twenty four

gag me with a hot poker

two days had passed with John B recovering in the hospital, meaning the gold hunt had been put on hold for now

two days had passed with John B recovering in the hospital, meaning the gold hunt had been put on hold for now. none of the pogues wanted to continue without him. not that we could without the map he had.

I had bounced back and forth between my place and the chateau. every now and then I'd catch my mom awake but most of the time she would be asleep on the couch. JJ and I spent a lot of time on the hms pogue, occasionally Pope would join us.

Kiara still seemed to be upset about the whole Sarah and John B ordeal.

finally, the day comes that Sarah texts me that John B is arriving at her house. I place a kiss on JJ's forehead while he sleeps before walking out the door. once I'm on my bike I start the ride to tanneyhill.

god it was a hot day today.

by the time I get to the house, I'm sweating a decent amount. I try to wipe most of it off before I walk up and knock, waiting for someone to answer. I start to smile when the door begins to open, until I see who is answering.

"Rafe." I say, taking in his messy appearance. "Hi, I didn't really expect you to be here."

his eyes turn sad when he realizes it's me. "Olyvia, hey. h-how are you?" he stammers, stepping to the side to let me in. I move past him and tuck my hair behind my ear.

"I'm okay. y'know, lots going on."

"how's your mom?"

"she's mom. I'm sure I don't have to explain."

"n-no of course not." I can tell he feels bad, so I stop talking.

the awkwardness is suffocating, until Sarah comes down the stairs and stops at the bottom. "Olyvia, I'm showing John B around the house. come on." she tells me, waving her hand.

I nod and walk her way, but turn to glance at Rafe again. he gives me a small smile and I return it. before I start up the steps I notice how his smile drops when I'm not looking anymore. Sarah leads me to one of the spare bedrooms, where John B is sitting in the bed looking like a lost puppy.

"hey, Lyv. Sarah was just going over everything with me. all the rules and whatnot."

"well for the final thing, I have to warn you. I sleepwalk." part of me wants to roll my eyes at Sarah, but it was cute. I guess. "so if I show up in your room in the middle of the night-"

"you want me to just roll with it?"

"oh gag me with a hot poker." I tease, breaking them from their moment. John B laughs while Sarah nudges me. she kisses him just to spite me. now actually gag me, someone.

"Sarah Elizabeth Cameron." Ward's deep voice floats in from the hallway, startling the three of us. he pats my back as he enters the room and looks at his daughter. "you're already broken the first rule. what is the first rule? stay out of each other's rooms."