eighteen

dreams of shipwrecks

"JJ, can we talk before we go surfing?" I ask the blond as Pope walks ahead of us

"JJ, can we talk before we go surfing?" I ask the blond as Pope walks ahead of us. He gives me a tiny nod and falls back to meet my stride. "Are we sure that pulling the plug on Topper's boat was the best idea? Pope has his scholarship to think about."

"If anything happens because of it, I'll take care of it." he reassures me before placing a quick kiss on my head. I scrunch my nose in disapproval, not really trusting his assurance.

"I don't like it, JJ. we know what Topper is capable of-"

"you mean Topper and Rafe." JJ cuts me off, watching my reaction to the kook king's name.

my mind flashes back to what happened earlier, and it still gave me a chill down my spine. then again, I saw something in Rafe's eyes when he looked at me. guilt, maybe, but it could have been fear of getting snitched on all the same.

"we got our payback. let's just leave it at that." I tell him, hoping he doesn't notice my blatant side step of the name. "I'd rather just mind my own business."

"mind your own business? they beat Pope to a pulp, Lyv. you saw it. how can you just stand there and-"

"because I'd rather not fight it. you forget where I come from JJ." I snap, my face beginning to turn red. he wanted to preach about pogues versus kooks, didn't he once consider me the latter? "if you want an all out war with kooks then maybe I should look into moving out of my damn house."

he goes silent, and by this point we've caught up to Pope. JJ's mouth opens and closes as he tries to find the words to say while Pope just avoids all eye contact.

"y'know what, I'm too tired for the beach today. I think I'm going to go home." I mutter before grabbing the handlebars of my bike and getting on. JJ still doesn't say anything. part of me wonders if I hit a nerve, or if he truly was done with me. "text me when you actually have something to say."

————

I didn't want to go home, but I also didn't want to go the chateau either. truthfully, there was nowhere for me to go without the pogues. the only friend I even felt like looking at right now was Sarah.

maybe I'd live to regret going to Tanneyhill.

"Sarah?" I call out, looking up the stairs in the house. "are you home?" when there's no answer, I wander out back to see if I could find anyone else. No Ward, no Rose, no Wheezie. the house was completely quiet.

until I hear someone yelling. my heart stops for a second while I try to figure out where the sound came from. I run around in a panic; where in the hell did that come from?