fifteen

laughter among the tombstones

John B had asked me if he could be alone while he cleaned up the house

John B had asked me if he could be alone while he cleaned up the house. I understood what he needed, so I went home to shower and wash off the day. my mom was fast asleep on the couch, but I saw a leftover crust from a sandwich on the counter.

she was making her own food, which was new. but good. a sandwich was better than nothing.

I'm preoccupied in my thoughts when I hear the van horn honk outside my house, and I grab my bag without hesitation. John B sits behind the wheel, determination set on his face. "I'm assuming you have a new master plan you're gonna wait to tell when everyone is together?" I ask with a small smile.

"of course. you called us the scooby doo gang, well what are they without their mysteries?" he jokes, causing me to laugh. I was so glad to hear him sound happier and content, even if we were still chasing down leads.

if it helped him, then by god I would always be up for a crazy scheme.

John B must've already sent out a text to everyone else, because we pull in to pick up JJ and Pope from Heyward's. "this better be good." Pope says to us. I gasp and act like I'm offended.

"if I'm here its gotta be good, Pope."

both the boys continue to question John B on the way to the wreck, but he still isn't giving anyone answers to his newfound enthusiasm. he at least tells them what had happened earlier with the chase and Peterkin, and I feel JJ's hand rest on my shoulder when he mentions the one man grabbing me. once we stop to grab Kiara, Pope gets out and goes inside.

within seconds he comes back out and hollers, "she says she's not coming."

"why not? what'd you do to her John B?" JJ questions, raising an eyebrow at me as well. I shrug, having no clue what's going on between them.

there was obvious tension, but no one knew if something had happened.

"shit." John B mutters before reaching for the door handle. "hang on. I'll deal with it."

when he gets out, I chuckle and look at JJ. "he'll deal with it aright."

"oh Kiara, lemme deal with it." he fake moans, causing me to laugh.

"John B, thank god you came to deal with it." I add, until Pope gives me a glare.

"can you two be more mature for once." he huffs while we just laugh. oh to have a crush. poor Pope. he walks to lean against the front of the car to get away from us. I move to the back to sit next to JJ while we wait.

his hand rests on my lower back once I sit down, and I sigh in content. "are you okay after what happened?" he asks me quietly, placing a kiss on my temple.

"yeah. it was scary as fuck, that's for sure." I reply, but then I give him a reassuring smile. "I'm just really glad John B didn't electrocute himself to death."