six

pleasing a storm

the pogues and I finally got back to the chateau at two in the morning, which was later than usual for a kegger

the pogues and I finally got back to the chateau at two in the morning, which was later than usual for a kegger. nonetheless, my body was still wired with energy and I still hadn't forgotten about my conversation with Rafe. John B and Kiara practically chase each other into the house while Pope goes to crash on the pullout, seemingly more exhausted than any of us.

I decide to go lay in the hammock for a little while to enjoy the cool night until I felt relaxed enough to go to sleep. "are you not tired?" I hear JJ ask as he comes up to stand next to the hammock. my hand pats the open spot next to me and he lays down as well, the hammock swaying from the movement.

my body naturally leans into his, and I hear him sigh as he gets comfortable. "I feel like I'm wired." I tell him as I toy with my fingers. he notices and reaches over to take my hand before starting to play with my fingers himself. "do you ever feel like it's one thing after another?"

"always." JJ mutters under his breath, his focus on my hand unwavering.

"when my dad died, my mom started taking antidepressants. I was prescribed them too, but never got to take them." I confess, making JJ stop what he was doing to look at me intently. "most of the time, when mom finished her prescription too fast, I just let her have mine. then after antidepressants came the pain meds.  I broke my arm once and she took my medicine."

"I am so sorry." JJ told me, and I know it was sincere. growing up, part of me knew he had a shitty home life, but he hid it well. "you shouldn't be the one dealing with this."

"who else is going to deal with it?" we both go silent as I realize how much I just revealed on accident. sure, Rafe has helped me take care of my mom on multiple occasions, but he never really understood or knew how it was. neither him nor Sarah ever heard me talk about it in detail. "do you want to go inside? it's getting windy. maybe from that storm Kie's dad mentioned."

"yeah, you can take the bed and I'll scoot Pope over on the pull out." he rolls off the hammock before handing me his hand to help me off as well. I remember the last time we had spent time out on the hammock, more importantly how I drunkenly face planted trying to get off.

we both walk into the house, finding Kiara on one couch and Pope on the pull out, and John B's door closed. I head into the extra room and practically fall onto the bed. the whole house smelled like boy, but it was oddly comforting. JJ comes into the room to see what I'm doing, and I sit up. "need something?" I question as he leans against the door frame.

"nope. nothing at all." I stand up from the bed and step closer to him, heat creeping onto my cheeks. it was dark, so if he could tell I was blushing he didn't mention it. "whatcha doin?"

"I need a distraction." I whisper while placing a hand on his chest. we both jump slightly at the sound of thunder outside, and the rain starts to hit the roof loudly. "if you say no, nothing will change. but I won't lie and say I've never been attracted to you."