eleven

diving gear thief

"John B, how ya feeling?" I ask while sitting next to Kiara as she messes around with a set of bongos

"John B, how ya feeling?" I ask while sitting next to Kiara as she messes around with a set of bongos. we were all a little tense after he told us about his conversation with the sheriff, and I was very aware of JJ's brand new attitude.

"my face hurts, but other than that I'm fine." he replies, running his hand through his hair. "look, I'm calling it off alright? Peterkin said if I stay out of the marsh, she'll help me with dcs."

"fuck dsc, you're screwed either way." I argue, rolling my eyes at the sheer idea of trusting the dcs.

"and you believed her?" thanks, JJ, for the enthusiastic backup.

"yes, I believe her, JJ." John B tells him, and JJ throws another rock but with more anger behind it. "all I gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple days and she'll help me out. it doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun."

I jump up from I seat and look at John B. "don't turn this on him, Topper was going to kill you. on purpose or on accident, doesn't matter." I snap, flashing back to last night. sure, was pulling a gun the smartest? no, but no one else was doing anything about it, and I knew how Topper could be.

"you know what I should have done? just let Topper drown your ass." JJ says, and the two start arguing. I step away for a moment, not wanting to get involved. "they always win, don't they man. kooks versus pogues, they always win. always win! goddamn."

"look it's okay!" Kiara tries to tell him, but JJ shakes his head.

"no its not okay! it is not. they don't want us to go into the marsh, that means there's something valuable down there. and you know it." JJ points at John B before turning to Kiara, Pope, and me. "and I understand why you don't want to go, you're the golden boy. you got way too much to risk." he points to Pope. "and you two, ya'll are already rich as fuck anyways. why would you bother?" he says to me and Kiara.

"that's not the point, JJ, and you know it." I sigh, sitting back down and crossing my arms. this morning was already starting to give me a headache.

"but you and me, man. we got nothing to lose!" JJ exclaims, and his words make me sad. it was true, neither of them had much of anything. it's no wonder JJ didn't care what happened to himself. "we really don't, all right? and I know it didn't use to be that way for you."

"I don't want to talk about this." John B mutters under his breath. "I don't want to talk about it. just get out of my way bro." when he shoves JJ aside to walk past him, I get back up.

"I'm going into the house." I whisper to Kiara, and she gives me a worried look. "tensions rising, talk about dead dads... can't do it, Kie." she nods before I turn to walk away, no one else noticing as I do. when I walk into the house I go to the fridge and grab a beer, sitting on the couch after I open it.