twelve

dirt bike daddy

when the morning comes, I go with John B to return the scuba gear to the Cameron's boat

when the morning comes, I go with John B to return the scuba gear to the Cameron's boat. I had skipped out on going to see Rafe last night like I had told him so I figured this was like killing two birds with one stone. John B is silent the whole boat right over to figure 8, and I didn't push him to talk about the compass.

it did seem like a huge coincidence that it was his dads, but both of us were always very good about understanding that neither of us enjoyed discussing our fathers. at least he could still have faith that his would return.

after John B slides the door to the cabin open he stops before continuing. he motions to the couch where Sarah is sleeping, and I shrug while giving him a confused look. we both take slow steps inside, but the bags seem loud in the silence.

"Wheezie, shut up." Sarah grumbles, running a hand over her face. I clench my teeth and try to stay quiet, until the oxygen tanks hit. Sarah opens her eyes, ready to probably kill Wheezie, until she sees us. "you're not Wheezie."

"correct. yeah." John B says quietly, setting the cans down as slow as possible. "I'm sorry."

"what are you doing?" Sarah asks while rubbing her head.

"we're just dropping off the gear." I explain since John B just stood there staring. Sarah pulls her shirt down to cover her bra, making him blush. "what are you doing here?"

"it's our boat?" Sarah raises an eyebrow, and I can practically see the exhaustion on her face. "it's also the only place with air conditioning. did you top off the tanks?"

"uh.... no." John B stammers for a quick answer so he can come up with an excuse. "power's down, so the compressors were off."

Sarah just looks over at me as if to question his explanation. "so, you're sneaking onto our boat at five am with empty tanks? I'll make sure to tell Ward."

I almost want to facepalm right in front of her. we were screwed. "well, you do that. I'm going to head inside to find Rafe, you two can continue this fun little exchange." I tell her, and John B gives me a pleading look as I send him a wink and proceed out of the cabin.

they continue talking as I step onto the dock and start for the house. I was sure everyone else was probably already asleep, or maybe Ward and Rose were just waking up. either way, it was too early to be awake.

I go up the stairs once I'm inside, and see Rafe's door cracked. it doesn't make a sound as I slowly push it open and tiptoe to his bedside, where he's fast asleep. "Rafe." I whisper, hoping to stir him awake without scaring him. "Rafe, wake up."

my hand goes out to touch him, and as soon as it makes contact, he practically jumps out of his own skin. "what the fuck!" he exclaims, rubbing his eyes before looking at me. I try to laugh quietly but it only makes him smile. "Lyv, what are you doing here this early?"