nineteen

they don't know, that we know, that they know

how could we be so stupid?

we all scan the screen for any sign of gold, or treasure chest, or whatever. to our dismay, it was all just wreckage. "it's not there. look, just pull the drone back up." John B sighs in defeat and shakes his head.

"fuck." I snap, still watching the screen. I knew we'd all be heartbroken, but John B would take it the hardest.

"look, we can do another pass. recharge the batter." Pope offers while trying to sound hopeful. "we can... we can go back down."

John B walks away from the screen and buries his hands in his hair. I go to join JJ, who looks equally as frustrated. those two were counting on this. "we've been through it three times. there's nothing there." JJ says, anger etched across his face.

"shut up!"

"what? it's true!"

"the gold could be buried. we don't know." Kiara argues with a shaky voice.

"and how are we supposed to dig it up, Kie?" I question, making her look at me with sad eyes.

"if it was there, it would've been found on the metal detector, okay?" John B tells us from the front of the boat. I could hear the pain in his words. "somebody beat us to it."

"or it was never there." JJ mutters before glancing on me. I grab his arm and give it a squeeze before he places a kiss on my temple. "I'm sorry, darlin'."

————

the tension on the boat is suffocating all the way back to the docks. JJ keeps a hold of my hand as the whole time, running his thumb back and forth against my skin. I can't help but watch John B as we pull up to tie the boat off. "John B, can we talk for a second?" I ask while walking over to him.

"there's nothing to talk about."

"c'mon, let's just-"

"fucking drop it, Lyv." John B snaps, throwing the remaining rope down with a thud. I want to reach out and shake the hell out of him, but I know he's just emotional right now. "do you ever know when to shut up?"

"hey!" JJ yells, coming over to us and grabbing his best friend's shirt. "watch your fucking mouth. don't ever speak to her like that again."

John B looks over at me with apologetic eyes but doesn't say anything. "It's fine." I lie to try to make him feel better and to calm JJ down. instead of standing there waiting for a half assed apology I climb off the boat and go to wait for JJ elsewhere.

after a few minutes of leaning against a tree, I feel JJ's hand on my waist so I turn to face him. in the distance, John B drives away by himself. "let's go do something." JJ says quietly, kissing my head with a small smile. "hell, maybe even a nap."