three

undo the mess

after our meal at the wake, I asked Rafe to drop me off at my house

after our meal at the wake, I asked Rafe to drop me off at my house. he had begged me to hang out longer, but I was tired after the drama between Topper and John B. after I watch his truck pull away, I go inside and grab a different set of shoes to go for a walk. the reason I didn't ask Rafe to come with me, was because I planned on walking to the cut.

I walk back to the wake, and catch Kiara's dad at the counter. "Hi Mr. Carrera!"

"Well I'll be damned, Olyvia Jones. How are you?" Kiara's dad grins from ear to ear and reaches his hand out to shake mine.

"I'm doing good how are you?" my dad had been a big customer of the wake up until his passing, so seeing Mr. Carrera was like a memory I'll never forget.

"well, I'm beginning to lose some employees for the summer, but we'll make do." he tells me while organizing the cash drawer. while I stand there waiting for him to be finished so I don't make him lose his focus, I have an idea.

"hey, if you ever need any help I'm around."

Mr. Carrera's face lights up and I laugh. "would you? I know things have been tough and you probably don't need the money but it would help out a lot."

"of course! Kiara has my number so if you ever need me, just give me a call." maybe getting a job will get my out of the house and then I'll make enough money to help my mom even more. "for now, do you know where Kie is at?"

"I'm not sure, they left a little bit ago and said something about a bonfire." he explains, and I nod. they probably went to John B's house, and I could never forget the way.

it felt like it took me forever to walk there, but when I see the porch I let out a sigh of relief. my phone buzzes with a text from Rafe but I just ignore it. as soon as Kiara turns and finds me walking up to the house, she hits John B on the arm.

"Olyvia?" she raises an eyebrow but comes off the porch and gives me a hug. the action shocks me, and I reciprocate. John B and Pope walk down the steps as well, both smiling. "what are you doing here?"

"what, I can't come visit anymore? am I kicked out of the club?" I joke as Kie pulls away. the three of them laugh, making me feel better about my decision to come here.

"what the fuck is she doing here?" we all look up to see JJ slamming the screen door and crossing his arms. "no kooks, and most certainly not Rafe Cameron's little girlfriend."

"JJ, don't be-"

"I'm not Rafe's girl." I snap, the label making my blood boil. see, this is what that shit does. people mark me as his property and now I've got more drama on my hands. "I don't know who started that, but I can assure you that's not true."

"so the whole possessive look he had in his eyes earlier today meant nothing?" JJ questions, walking closer. god I wanted to punch him, this boy had always been infuriating. even before he was attractive but now it just makes it that much worse.