twenty three

the hawk's nest

when we pull off the road close to go meet Sarah, Pope opens the van door and starts to climb out

when we pull off the road close to go meet Sarah, Pope opens the van door and starts to climb out. "hit it boys! we're goin' on a recon mission." JJ shouts with a grin, making me laugh at him.

"yo, so I think I'm gonna do this one by myself tonight." John B says, stopping everyone in their seats. I watch Kiara roll her eyes at him as JJ leans back next to me.

"I just don't want to spook Sarah with the peanut gallery."

"I just don't understand why we're involving her at all." Kiara snaps while looking at John B. I let out a frustrated sigh, but all I can do is glare at her.

"Kie, we're not involving her, okay?" John B tells her. "It's just like a business meeting. thing."

JJ gives his joint a fake blowjob next to me, and I try not to laugh as I smack the back of his head. Pope actually laughs at him for a change.

"look, once we get what we need, we cut her loose alright? plus we need the map." I stare at John B as he finishes explaining. when his eyes meet mine he gives me an apologetic look, but it doesn't give me any ease at all.

"promise me nothing's happening between you two."

"my god Kie, shut up." I comment. she looks at me with confusion but I just shrug.

"I'm being serious. this isn't about you or us, this is about her." Kiara argues before turning back to John B. "dude, she's gonna get inside your head."

"there goes her promise." I whisper to JJ before rolling my eyes. he leans over and places a kiss on my cheek, trying to make me feel better.

after John B exits the car, I move to sit between JJ's legs so I can close my eyes and maybe get a nap in. keeping my eyes shut also helped me avoid talking to Kiara.

while I relaxed, JJ was telling the story about what happened at midsummers with Rafe and Kelce. until Kiara stops him mid sentence and say, "wait, do you guys hear that? sh."

"I only hear thunder."

"what?"

"please somebody help!" as soon as we all hear it, everyone rushes to get out of the van.

"wait, no I hear that!" JJ exclaims as we all climb out. everyone runs towards the yelling, and as we slowly get closer I recognize the voice.

when we come upon Sarah, she's holding John B in her arms. "Sarah! what happened?" Pope questions while sprinting to John B. I freeze in place, staring at John B on the ground.

what if...

"Olyvia, I don't know what to do. he needs help." she glances at me with tear filled eyes, almost pleading with me to do something. "Topper shoved him."

"what?" that snaps me out of it, and I find myself looking towards JJ. his eyes meet mine and he shakes his head. I go to sit by Sarah before wrapping an arm around her.