10| macy kingsley

WARNING: This chapter contains explicit details of rape and abuse if either of these is triggering please feel free to skip this one

I was sitting in one of the chairs in Jared's office. He was having a conversation with Laura but I wasn't paying attention to what they were saying. My mind trailed off repeatedly to the same two words, I was raped. I tried to shrug off the thought but I couldn't. I could see the pain in the girl's eyes and it broke my heart because it was the reality we lived in.

It wasn't the first time I had heard a girl saying she was raped on campus and she wasn't going to be the last because nobody cared. They just did their best to make it go away, but of course, that was something no one dared talking about.

To them, you should know better than to be walking alone through campus alone. You should know better than to wear a tight revealing dress or a short skirt. And you should definitely know better than to get drunk at a party. That's total bullshit, wearing a tight revealing dress or a short skirt doesn't give anybody the right to take advantage of you. No means no, period.

"Everest." I heard Jared's voice call me and he snapped me out of my thoughts. "Everest, are you okay?"

"Yes," I reply. "I'm sorry, my mind just trailed off. What were you saying?"

"I was discussing with Laura that it would be a good idea for you to be present while I interview Macy. She would feel more comfortable sharing the details with you there and it will be the first case you will be shadowing with me, so take notes. You might catch something that I could miss." Jared explains and I nod my head. "That is if you're only up for it, these cases can be tough."

"Don't worry, I can't handle it." 

Soon after the short brunette blue-eyed girl, Macy walked into Jared's office. I tried to give her a smile to make her feel a little bit more comfortable. But I knew it wasn't going to make things better, especially if you have to go over in detail about something you wish you could just forget ever happened. She looked tired, the bags under her eyes gave it away. Macy looked like your average girl on campus, Laura mentioned that she was a freshman and it all made sense. Frat boys on campus liked to prey on freshmen, to them the more inexperienced they were the better.

"Before we get started Macy I want to ask you if you made a police report because without one I can't help you. Did you report your assault?"

Macy stayed silent for a minute but she then spoke (barely). You could tell she was having a hard time trying to make out the words. "Yes, I went to the hospital a few hours after it happened. My best friend Natalie took me to Hopkins Memorial. They took a rape kit, I don't know how much the rape kit will help, because they used condoms. After the rape kit, they called Detective Porter, Olivia Porter. She told me to come to see you."

"It doesn't matter, there is always a trace of DNA left behind. Believe me. We're heading in a good direction. You did great by not showering Macy, I know it mustn't have been easy." Of course, it wasn't easy Jared.