15| tip of the iceberg

WARNING: This chapter contains explicit details of rape and abuse if either of these is triggering please feel free to skip this one

I currently found myself lost in my own thoughts as I looked outside the window of Detective Olivia Porter's black SUV. It's been a few weeks since we started working on Macy's case and we haven't seen any type of progress. The DNA results on Macy's dress was a match with Tommy's semen, I was right. Even though that sounds like progress it isn't. That only proves that they had sexual intercourse. Which meant that the defense was going to argue that it was consensual.

Jared has stressed it enough (more than a hundred times) that he wants an airtight case. That meant that we had to have something more than a DNA match and security footage from AJ's showing that they both left the bar together. With no witnesses yet, we were back to square one. I had the video footage I took at Laguna Seca but I wasn't ready to have that conversation with Jared. Because even though it was a smart move, it not only compromised me but it also compromised the boys. Once Jared handed the video to the court, the defense will question its credibility. Which meant that Jared had to put a face to the witness who took the video. And with me as a witness, by law under oath, I had to talk about every single little detail of the events that night.

I didn't want it to come down to that because I knew I would end up losing people because of it. But I also wanted nothing more than to get justice for Macy. That's why I was hoping that the two-hour drive to Sage Forest Psychiatric Institution gave us the answers we were looking for. Olivia tried to get Emily's file from the Dean of Student Affairs but she denied her request with a very poor excuse. Peyton ended up telling me about the place where Emily Cohen was admitted. The girls from the house paid her a visit for the first few months she was there.

When Olivia pulled up at the institution it looked scary, at least from the outside. "Do you know who to talk to exactly about Emily Cohen?" I ask.

"Yes, I spoke on the phone with Dr. Elizabeth Blackwell." Olivia pauses. "She said we reached out just in time, Emily is starting her first round of ECT today. She is scheduled to be sedated later in the afternoon."

The first round of ECT? "ECT as in Electroconvulsive therapy? Won't that affect her memory?"

"Yes, that's why we're here Everest. After the first two rounds, she'll start to forget everything in pieces." Is the school forcing this treatment on her or does she want it for herself?

We walked inside of the institution and Dr. Blackwell greeted both Olivia and I. "Detective Porter, you've arrived just in time. Emily is scheduled for her ECT soon and we have to sedate her. We've been treating Emily for a while now and she doesn't talk much about what happened to her the night of her assault. She just wants to forget it ever happened. Her depression has been getting the best of her lately."

"Is that's why she's going through ECT?" I ask.

"Yes," Dr. Blackwell replies. "She requested it herself."