28| your time is up

I was a nervous wreck

I was a nervous wreck. I hoped that Sèbastien would forget about the infamous offer he made the other day, but to my unfortunate luck, he didn't. The text I received this morning before I walked into class confirmed it. Sèbastien seemed like a great guy but I wasn't interested because the truth of the matter was that no matter how much Connery hated me right now I still hoped that he would forgive me. After all of the humiliation, I hoped that he would forgive me so we could pick up right from where we left off.

Peyton would disagree with me there, she's not his biggest fan right now. She says that there are limits and letting his mom humiliate me was the final straw because if the roles were reversed I would've never treated him that way. But the thing is that you can't live life expecting people to act the same way you do, because if you, you'll only end up disappointed. Not everyone has the same heart as you. That's why I never hold people to that standard.

"Peyton, maybe you can show up to his house and tell him I got bit by a spider, or better yet, you can tell him I had an emergency and I couldn't make it," I tell my best friend as she helps me with my make up.

"First, I'm not lying for you Ev," Peyton says giving me a disapproving look. "Second, are those the best excuses you could come up with?"

"What are you trying to say by that?" I glare. "I could text him and tell him that I'm not feeling well, that sounds like a much better idea."

"Don't be that girl, the poor guy is cooking for you. I would give anything to hear Dant say that, but he can't even fry an egg properly let alone cook me dinner." Peyton rants. "Besides, if you didn't want to go, why did you suggest it in the first place?"

"Well, it's Dant we're talking about here. Your standards shouldn't be that high." I joke (not really). "And to answer your question, I don't know. I was just trying to make conversation and I blurted it out."

"You have a point there," Peyton laughs. "Anyways, back to the problem at hand. You can't bail on him now, he probably has the dinner table set up. Besides, there's nothing wrong with going to dinner with a friend."

"I'm not sure he sees it like that," I tell Peyton.

"You don't know that, you can't assume he wants to be more than friends, you're not inside his head." True. "You set the limits Ev, you put the cards on the table and he either takes it or leaves it. Sèbastien seems like a great guy, he'll understand, you didn't promise him a relationship when you agreed to the dinner date."

"You can be so wise sometimes," I tease.

"Sometimes?" Peyton gives me a look. "And if I were Sèbastien I would rather have you as a friend, for now, you're hung up on asshole Connery so he doesn't stand a chance."

"Peyton," I warn.

"What? It's true. His actions were justified at first. But he needs to be a big boy and grow up. He's acting like an immature five-year-old. You uncovered the truth about his family and exposed it, big deal." Peyton argues.