24| burning bridges

It's been a week

It's been a week. I wish I could say it was an easy one, but I would just be lying to myself. I've always been the invisible one because if we're being honest no one notices the girl on campus that always walks around in baggy clothes. It has never bothered me, I felt safe, being in the spotlight has never been my thing. That's why I always leave it all to my two best friends while I just stand in the back. But ever since the article came out, everything changed.

I became the subject of many dirty stares, a few insults, and whispers. I was no longer the invisible shy girl that sat in the back of each class. Everest Green became the girl with an agenda, the girl who was just looking for attention. And that hurt.

I've never been one to care about what others have to say or think of me, but it all changes when your character is questioned for doing what's right. Out of all of the outcomes I could've possibly imagined, being the most hated girl on campus wasn't one of them. And the fact that Professor Emerson hasn't been able to shut up about the article in class doesn't help either.

Connery and I haven't spoken since the fight we had at practice, I'm not going to stand here and act like he doesn't have a good reason for the way he acted that day. He had a point, I didn't handle the situation the right way. I was afraid, I didn't want to lose him and I didn't know how to start that conversation.

And yes, maybe things would've been completely different if I had come to him first. But in the end, the outcome would've been the same. I knew from day one that he was going to walk away. Because when it comes down to choosing between your family and the girl you have only known for a few months, the choice is obvious. Blood is always thicker than water.

The next day after the fight, Coach called me to his office, after a good fifteen minutes of him shouting at me for what happened, he showed a little compassion for me about the situation. It took me by surprise because putting aside my only two friends, he has been the only one that has shown support.

I tried taking advantage of his rare moment of compassion by asking him if I could switch lanes because of what had happened but in a simple sentence, he told me to act like a big girl and deal with it. So not only do I have to deal with every BGU student's cold stares but also I have to deal with the boy's cold stares as well.

It was no surprise though, I wasn't even mad about it. Connery and the boys have a bond that a girl from a small town in Arizona can't break. What I didn't expect though was that putting everything aside, out of all four, Dant has been nothing but nice to me. It obviously has nothing to do with me and everything to do with Peyton, but I don't care, I will still take it. Kindness towards me has been falling short these days.

The icing on the cake though was not the letter I received from Chancellor Scott's office, but the way it was delivered. I was walking through campus on my way to the library when this guy walks up to me and says you've been served before handing me a white envelope. It took them long enough though, I was expecting for him to summon me first thing the next day. But he waited a week, I wonder why. That is why, instead of heading to my Economic's class, I was standing in front of Chancellor Scott's office.