42| fallen angel

I was nervous

I was nervous. As I sat at the table in the small coffee shop downtown, I tapped my foot impatiently against the floor. I checked the time on my phone before I set it back to the same place it was. Only five more minutes until he gets here, if he's punctual, that is. I needed to pull myself together if I was going to ever pull this off.

After Connery left this morning for class I texted Dant asking him if we could meet up for coffee. Dant and I don't have the closest relationship, which is why asking him to meet up for coffee was something he would find odd. But I leave it up to me to find the perfect cover-up. Peyton's birthday is coming up in a few weeks, so I told him that I wanted to plan a little surprise for her. This is true, but the thing that he doesn't see coming is the confrontation about the particular tattoo he has on his right hip.

My heart stopped when I saw Dant walk in through the front door. I wasn't good at confrontation and this could go bad quick. "Green,"

Dant sits in the chair across from me. "Nathaniel,"

He rolls his eyes. Dant hated it when I called him by his middle name, so when he told me to stop, I called him Nathaniel every time I saw him just to annoy him. "You could've picked a further place to meet up if you wished."

I laugh at Dant's sarcasm. "I didn't want to risk getting caught by Peyton. We tolerate each other for her sake. If she saw us sitting together in a coffee shop she would become highly suspicious that we're planning something for her."

"Ah, I get it," Dant replies. "Do you have something in mind? Or do we have to brainstorm a few ideas?"

"I was thinking about making it a costume birthday party, she loves to dress up. And that way she can use the outfit she never got to wear for Halloween last year." I tell Dant.

"The tinker bell costume?" Dant asks and I nod. "She wouldn't shut up about how she didn't get to wear it this year either."

"We have a theme, now we need a place," I say as I go over my non-existing list on my phone.

"We can have it at the house," Dant says. "We'll tell her it's a costume party that the frat is throwing. She'll never see it coming."

"Perfect," I reply. "Drinks and snacks?"

"I can take care of the drinks and snacks with the boys, you can order the cake," Dant says and I nod. "Remember to order a red velvet one, it's her favorite."

I know that Dant is an ass (at times) but he's the sweetest guy with Peyton. How can a guy like that be part of a gang responsible for countless murders and rapes? Is there someone else hidden beneath his exterior? "I have it written down, I promise I won't forget."

"Great," Dant smiles. "Is there anything else left to plan out?"

I shake my head. "I think we got everything covered for now. If there's anything else that we're missing, I'll let you know."