33| not the land of the free

I was running late to Emerson's class on this bright Monday morning, at this point in the semester I shouldn't be surprised and neither should Emerson

I was running late to Emerson's class on this bright Monday morning, at this point in the semester I shouldn't be surprised and neither should Emerson. She used to call me out in front of the whole class but apparently, she grew tired of it because she went from calling me out to just giving me a cold stare. The only problem is that we have a quiz during the first ten minutes of the lecture, even though I'm doing pretty good in her class, with all of my tardiness I couldn't afford a zero on a quiz.

At least this time, my attire was pretty decent. No unicorn pajama pants for today. I looked at my phone to check the time, class started in five minutes and I was two minutes away from Fisher Hall. My phone buzzed and I didn't need to guess who was texting me this early in the morning, Stensby Miller. EVEREST GREEN WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU? ARE YOU PURPOSELY TRYING TO FAIL EMERSON'S CLASS?

I instantly replied to my best friend's text. I'M TWO MINUTES AWAY. CALM DOWN.

I picked up my pace and I started walking up the stairs that lead to the auditorium. At the beginning of the semester I couldn't have run up these flights of stairs, I would've probably passed out in the process. Thank God for Coach's mandatory gym training. My athletic form has definitely upgraded.

Once I reached the end of the stairs I walked up to the door of the large auditorium and I peeked through the small glass window on the big red door in the quiet empty hallway. Prof. Emerson was handing out the quizzes on the first row. Perfect. Just in time. Emerson 0. Everest 1.

I slowly opened the door successfully without making a sound. Thankfully everyone was paying attention to Emerson and Emerson was way too concentrated on the pieces of paper that she was handing out to notice that I had just walked in. I speed walked towards Stensby and I's seat. Just like at the beginning of the semester, I spotted my six-foot-six brunette in our designated seats.

"Took you long enough," Stensby whispers to me as I take a seat next to him. I roll my eyes. "What happened this time?"

"My car is still in the shop remember?" I whisper back. "I forgot that I had to walk all the way over here."

"When did you figure that one out? When you were about to brush your hair?" Stensby says pointing towards my messy bun and I glare at him.

"My hair looks perfectly fine and you're one to talk," I reply. "You're not exactly an oil painting yourself."

Before Stensby could reply Emerson had reached our row and she was not happy. "Ms. Green, I'm not quite sure if you have noticed but the quiz has already started. You should be quiet but if whatever you were sharing with your friend was so important, please do share it with the rest of us."

Emerson hands me the piece of paper and I could feel the whole class staring at me. Emerson 1. Everest 0. "I think I'll pass."

Without even glancing at me again Emerson proceeds to hand out the piece of paper to the rest of the class. I started off by writing my name on the piece of paper and then I proceeded to read the five questions that were written down. I didn't prepare for today as much as I should've but there is no way I could fail. I don't enjoy hearing Emerson's voice but I do pay attention to what she says. It usually helps a lot.