Hard Times

Ella: Hi Mommy

Her mom: Hi sweetie! I'll be home late today, but your dad should be there. I think you guys should spend some time together.

Ella: Whatever you say, mommy

Her mom: Please sweetie, he's trying

Ella: Yeah yeah, I know. See you later

Her mom: See you later

"You good?" Cyrus asked, hugging me. "Yeah", I replied. "Hey," Tyler said softly, clutching his bag strap sitting down next to me. "Hi Ty", I smiled at him. I'm gonna make an effort to be more agreeable to him. Lord knows how hard it is for him already.

"Did you hear what Mr Porter said today in court?" He asked. "Yup", I nodded. "You sure you okay?" Cyrus asked. I shrugged. "I don't want to talk about it", I pursed my lips. "Tyler and I were gonna do something later, but I can reschedule if you need me," he said, "No, it's fine I have to spend time with my dad."

I took a sip of my water. "Tony is testifying tomorrow I might go", I played with my fingers. "Cool. Are you still going to sign up for swimming?" he asked. "Probably not. This whole thing with Bryce might come back on me negatively. I'm not sure."

"Maybe it doesn't have to be like that... maybe um you can try writing like uh entering competitions for the local paper or scholarships. You probably don't need a scholarship, but you know...I - I" Tyler took a breath before continuing "You can do your own thing and just say fuck it you know?" He looked at me, nervously fumbling with his hands.

"That's great advice, man!" Cyrus leaned over, tapping him on his back. "Yeah, thanks Tyler but how'd you know I liked writing?" I asked curiously. "Umm we had English together one year when we had to exchange stories, I got your story it was really great" I racked my brain. Oh yeah, we did. Wow, I feel awful; I don't remember speaking to him at all.

"Thanks, Ty, that's sweet of you I'll definitely consider it" I smiled at him.

Timeskip

"Hi Ella"

"Hi, dad."

"Did you eat already? I got Chinese."

"I don't like Chinese all that much and yes I ate"

"Oh well, that's my bad", he grimaced. "How is school going?"

"Fine. Homework, assignments the usual" I continued doing my equations.

"Oh, good. Any extracurriculars?"

"Not really. I was thinking of writing, maybe enter a competition."

"Writing?"

"Yes. Stories."

"You like to do that? Willingly" he watched me concerningly.

"Yes....you know what forget it. You obviously don't care" I collected my stuff.

"Ella don't say that. I do I just...writing that's just....you can do better than that" he rubbed his forehead.

"Have you ever read any of my stories?"

"No, I'm busy Ella yo-"

"Yeah, but you made time to knock up some cheap whore, right?" I rolled my eyes, walking away. He is such a freaking hypocrite and an asshat.