chapter 1.

"I got you six months of probation," a tall man says as he enters the room. Nicole Haught is in a small room with bare walls and windows that she knows are really double sided mirrors. She's sitting in a chair at a small table, leaning back and resting her feet up on the table. The man pushes her feet, gesturing for her to put them down before he sits in the chair across from her at the table. Nicole huffs and dropped her feet to the ground, dramatically.

"Six months? This is bullshit!" She groans, dropping her head to the table, on top of her hands. 

"First of all, watch your mouth," the man warns. "Second of all, normally by now you'd be in juvy, so I'll take a 'thank you' anytime now."

Nicole peels her head from the table. She glares back at the man, unamused. "Sure, thanks, Dolls," she says, dryly. "This is my third probation in 2 years. Forgive me for not being ecstatic."

She waves her hands in the air, pretending to be excited.

"Hence the reason you should be locked up by now," Dolls retorts. "When are you going to learn, Nicole?"

Nicole looks up, making eye contact with the man.

"Learn and have to spend less time with my favorite probation officer?" She says with a devilish grin. She leans back in the chair, putting her feet back on top of the table.

"Cut the shit, Haught," Dolls huffs. His tone is more stern now. "And have some damn respect!" He gestured toward her feet.

"And you told me to watch my mouth," Nicole says with a smug look on her face, moving her feet back to the floor again.

"Listen, kid, I get it." The man's tone softens. "Things haven't been easy on you since-"

"Yeah, yeah, we really don't have to get sentimental here, man," Nicole quickly cuts him off. "Thank you." She rolls her eyes at the man in front of her. 

"You're welcome," he says with a smile. She's sure he can see through her sarcasm. The pair has spent a lot of time together over the past few years. Too much time if you ask her, but it's been than the alternative.

"Even though it was just a form of self expression," Nicole argues. 

"Sure, but why can't you self express on paper instead of the side of the Federal building?" Dolls asks.

"It was dark!" She retorts. "I didn't realize it was the Fed building!" She lets out another groan, throwing her head back for effect.

"Seriously, Nicole, you can't keep doing this." Dolls tries to be sympathetic, but Nicole can tell he's at his wits end with her.

"I know, I know," she says, a little softer this time.

"You obviously don't know," he tells her. "Look, there's one more stipulation." Nicole brings her head back down, making eye contact with the man.

"Community service?" she asks.

"Well, yes, but that's not what I mean," Dolls says. He's got her attention now. What else could it possibly be. She's used to community service, that one is a given.

"What else have you gotten me into?" Nicole says in a warning tone like she actually has a say in the matter.

"A new foster placement," Dolls says quickly. It seems like he's almost bracing himself to upset the redhead.

"My foster parents are fine, Dolls," Nicole tells him. "I get everything I need. This has nothing to do with them." She's actually found a place she likes and is comfortable in, the last thing she wants to do is put this on them.