Chapter 18 - Confrontations

"I'll meet you guys back at the car in 20 minutes. I need to pack my bags and say bye to my family."

"You sure you want to come with us?" Cameron checked, "Just because we're going back early, doesn't mean you have to if you don't want to."

Riley looked in the backseat and saw Jessie wearing a similar expression as Cameron. Knowing that he was thinking along the same lines of Cameron, Riley just ended up smiling at the both of them because of their concerns.

"You guys were my ride down here, you better believe that you're taking me back."

Riley was proud of his exit as he closed the car door behind him. It was still the middle of the night and he realised his mistake when he slammed the front door closed.

"Riley!" Natasha aggressively whispered. "It's the middle of the night and everyone's sleeping, what are you still doing up?"

Natasha walked down the stairs as she tied her bathrobe to talk to her son, without waking up the rest of the house.

Taking him into the kitchen, Natasha was ready to ask her son where he went so late at night.

"Jessie had a big fight with his parents, and his brother asked me to help look for him." Natasha was in the middle of asking if he was okay when Riley told her, "He's fine. They're driving back to the dorms tonight, and I'm going back with them."

Natasha knew her son was old enough and responsible enough to make his own decisions. As much as she wanted her whole family to be together as much as possible, she knew that Riley already had his mind set on this.

"Can't you wait until morning? It's really late and I don't want you to get into a car accident."

Riley shook his head and reached for his mom's hand. "The sooner that Jessie is away from his parents, the better he will be. Cameron agrees and thinks it's better for his well-being."

"I always knew those miserable old bastards were a piece of work," Natasha spat out. "No doubt there children will turn out just like them."

Riley didn't want his mom to compare Cameron and Jessie to their parents. He had no doubt that they were the complete opposite of their parents, and Riley wanted his mom to know that.

"They're both close friends of mine, and I would appreciate it if you don't put them on the same list as their parents." Riley told her firmly. "Cameron is a sensitive, caring, and a kind person to be around."

"And Jessie?" Natasha followed up with.

"Jessie always makes me happy."

Natasha watched her son's eyes shine as he chuckled to himself. She was worried that history would eventually repeat itself, and she wanted to save her son from being hurt like that again.

"I'm sorry to say this, but I think this is going to be a mistake." Natasha warned. She felt gutted when Riley pulled away his hand that she was holding, and she didn't miss the flash of hurt that was shown on his face. "You still like Jessie, and I'm afraid you're just going to get hurt all over again."

"Why are you so against the possibility of me and Jessie being together?" Riley whispered. He thought that she would be happy to finally see him in a relationship.

"It's not that I don't trust that boy and his family - because I don't. But I think it's a mistake because I think you're putting all of your hopes that he will eventually like you back Riley. You've been down this road before, and if nothing has changed in the past couple of years, then why will it now?"

Riley thought about this question for such a long time. Even after having sex with each other a countless number of times, Riley knew that Jessie never once showed any further interest in him. Jessie was so sure that he was straight and had no feelings for men, that them being together was never a possibility.