Chapter 27 - Poor Choice Of Words

Riley was with Cameron at a busy Starbucks as they placed their order at the counter. Waiting for their drinks, they both took a seat at an empty table.

"How do you think it's going?" Riley asked nervously.

At the same time, Jessie was having the dreaded talk with Olivia. Although Riley was happy that it was finally happening, it still didn't ease his own nerves at how Jessie was going to deal with it all.

"Jessie's been through much worse than telling a girl he isn't interested in her anymore," Cameron laughed. "He's broken up with a lot of girls before - one more wont hurt."

Riley eventually nodded his head once he stopped looking at his phone - expecting Jessie to call or message him any minute now. He had to stop his nervous hands from tossing his own phone in the air and catching it, because he didn't want to show Cameron how nervous he was in front for him.

However it was too late as Cameron smirked when he watched Riley try to keep his hands and legs steady.

Someone's phone alerted to a text message, and Riley jumped at the chance to see who it was. His face became saddened when he checked his own phone and saw nothing, unlike Cameron who saw his phone and became bitter because of it.

"Parents..."

Riley gave him an understanding nod as he could tell that Cameron wasn't happy to hear from them. "Still bad?"

"And then some." Cameron added as he pocketed his phone.

Riley got up from his seat and grabbed their drink orders when they were called. Riley passed Cameron his drink, as Riley then sipped his own coffee.

Riley felt slightly apprehensive about bringing the parent issue up any further, because he felt like he had a playing role in why the Summers family broke apart. Although Riley knew he was technically faultless because he didn't seek out to break them apart, Riley couldn't help but partially blame himself.

"All the bribes in the world won't make the things they did go away." Cameron spat out. "They did too much damage to my brother, and I can never forgive them for that."

Riley silently nodded his head once again, as he understood why Cameron was being protective of his twin brother.

"Jessie's been through a lot of shit recently, and he doesn't serve any more crap from people that will just end up hurting him."

Riley thought that the way Cameron was carefully looking at him, Cameron was sending him a kind of warning message.

Even though they were the same age, Riley felt like it was kind of funny that he was getting the protective brother act from someone the same age as him. But given that the nature of the topic was serious, Riley's face was like steel as he withheld his laughter from Cameron trying to intimidate him.

Cameron's face morphed to become even more serious, as he looked around them and made Riley lean in so that he could whisper to him. "So whatever happens next in Jessie's life, I'm going to make sure that no one else will hurt him. You understand me?"

Riley put his hand over his heart as he swore to Cameron, "I genuinely do like Jessie, a lot. And I promise that I will try and protect him too."

After silence bathed the atmosphere, Cameron's serious face soon became merry and happy. He then laughed everything off as he went back to becoming light hearted and easy going. "Then I wish you guys the best."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Jessie knocked on Olivia's door as he knew that she was going to be alone in there. He kept bouncing from one leg to the other, as his palms started to become sweaty when he thought about talking to Olivia.