Punished

Oscar Pine sits on his bed in his room, reading a book by the light of a lantern.

Oscar's Aunt yells from another room, "Oscar, supper's almost ready!"
"What're we having?" He doesn't look up from his book. "Doesn't matter! You're eating it!" Oscar, in a joking manner, "I never agreed to these terms!"
"It's part of the "living under my roof" contract! Read the fine print, then come wash up!"

Oscar closes his book and stands up. He is walking toward the door when a voice resounds, causing him to pause. "We have to leave." Oscar continues forward. "Oscar. Oscar! We have to look for her." Oscar is about to grasp the door handle, but holds back, "I've decided you're not real, so you might as well give up."
"I understand how you're feeling. I went through the same panic and confusion. Now we have to find her; she can't be left alone for too long."

Oscar turns around and looks at an open book on the floor. He bends down and shuts it, talking aloud as he puts it and the one next to it away on a shelf. "It's not real. It's not real. It's not real." Oscar stands up. "I can assure you; you are perfectly sane."
"I'm talking to a voice in my head."
"I didn't say you were normal. I said you were sane." Oscar starts to leave his room again, "There's quite a significant difference between-"
"Shut up! Do you think this is funny? It's not."
"We are in complete agreement on that matter, I promise you. Believe me; I wish this weren't the case. But as I've told you, our Aura, our souls are combined."

Oscar looks up at the ceiling without really focusing on anything but clearly showing his disgust. "I'm done listening to you."
"Have you ever been to Haven?"
"I told you I'm not going, and I told you I'm done listening."
"Do you think you could describe the headmaster's office?"
"No. Why would I know that? I've never seen-"
"Try. Right now."
"It's probably... It's..." His eyes widen, and his face slackens, "It's autumn-colored... with a large mahogany desk. There's a small table with chairs in a corner for guests, with a tea set that... I... I gave him with Saint."

The pan stops when Oscar refers to himself in the first person. He puts his hand to his head, disconcerted, "Why did I say that? Why did I know that? Why did I say that? Who's Saint?"

Oscar becomes increasingly bothered, and he starts backing up, dropping his hand, "Because I helped build that school along with a woman I call Saint, and the tea set was a gift to the man running it now. The woman you think about every now and then is her. Saint is the same woman you see in your dreams."

Oscar sits on his bed and holds his head, groaning. "If you don't believe me, you can look it up. If I recall, your aunt has several books on Mistral downstairs. I'm certain you could find a picture in one of them."

Oscar straightens up and lowering his hands, "That... that's right; I must've seen it in a picture."
"Oscar..."

Oscar stands upright, tightening his fists at his sides and shouts, "Stop talking to me!"
"I have a grave responsibility to uphold. We both do."

Oscar falls to his knees, "I never agreed to anything."
"No, you didn't. And neither did I, at first. But you do have an opportunity."
"For what?"
"Greatness, hopefully. Greatness in knowing that, when the world needed help, you were the one to reach out your hand. It won't come without hardship, without sacrifice, but I know you don't want to live the rest of your life working as a farmhand in Mistral."

Oscar places his hands on his head again, eyes wide, "So you just decided to read my thoughts?"
"I... well. They're our thoughts now."
"Get out of my head!"

"Oscar! Supper time! I better see clean hands!" Oscar looks toward the door but remains silent on the floor. He didn't know how to feel, yet a feeling of sadness seemed to hit his chest as you appeared in his mind once again, if he didn't look for you would it be that bad?