Necessary Sacrifice

Oscar is in a training room while wielding The Long Memory. As he pants from exhaustion, he hears a voice enter the room. "Oscar, are you hungry? It's almost dinnertime. Ruby and Jaune are preparing the table."

"Uh, yeah. That sounds good. I was about to call it a night anyway."

"You've never fought before?"
"Just the occasional small Grimm. Nothing like this, though."
"Small training, but you're a natural. Sooner or later, you'll surely pass me up."

"It's strange; I have only had this cane for a few weeks, but... I feel like I've had it for a lifetime. Longer, even. I sound like a crazy person."

"I mean, with us and our situation, there is no such thing as crazy. I should know; I've gone through it." Suddenly, you frown at the last phrase.

Oscar notices this and tries to ask a question before you interrupt him, "Uh..."
"Well, wash up; everyone will be upstairs."
"How do you handle all of this?"

"What do you mean?" You turn to him once more, "I'm... scared." Oscar's voice starts to crack, "I'm more scared than I've ever been in my life than I ever thought was possible." He walks over to a weapon rack. "I always knew that I wanted to be more than a farmhand, but this? Who would ask for this?" He glances down at the floor as a tear drips from his eye. He sniffles before kneeling to the floor to reach his backpack. He grabs the cane off the rack and pulls the lever on the handle to compact it before putting it in his backpack. You kneel next to him, pulling him into a hug as one of your hands patted his head, "We created Beacon because we wanted to help people. But, you're right. None of us asked for this, not even Oz. But I know that eventually, we will get through this."

"How can you be so sure?! The world's about to go to war all over again! How are you okay with any of this?!! They ordered you to come back here to help him, to help me, and all you could do is obey them!" Oscar pushes you away, "How is that fair to you? Did they even know that they are sending you off to this never-ending war? Did they even care about you?!" Your eyes are now colored with indigo and a gold ring around.

"When Beacon fell, I lost someone dear to me, Pyrrha Nikos. She was the most kind-hearted person I have ever met. But that didn't save her; I didn't save her. What I felt that night was a feeling I had experienced once before when I lost my-" You paused for a moment standing back up walking to the opening, clearing your throat you continued, "Pyrrha thought that if there was even the smallest chance of helping someone, then it was a chance worth taking. And because of that, she died fighting a battle she knew she couldn't win. It was my choice to come back because I knew how hard it would be if you were alone. The older brother asked me to go as the younger brother begged me to stay."

You stared at the broken moon, "The love they gave me was out of loyalty. The same loyalty I give to you, no matter what place or time, I promised my life to you."

"The Gods."
You nodded, "I should thank them once more; because of them, I learned how it felt to be loved. I've felt sadness, rage, loss, even emptiness, yet I know what it means to be happy even when the world crumbles around you; I want that for you and everyone, even if it means that I end up alone."

"I'm... sorry."
"Salem doesn't care if you're standing against her or not. She'll kill anybody, which scares me that I used to be that way, and I pray that I will not go back to being a monster I once was. I'd be lying if I said that it didn't hurt, that I didn't think about Pyrrah every day since I lost her, that I didn't wish that I had that extra second to save her. If it had been me instead, I know she would have kept fighting, too, no matter how dangerous it was. So that's what I choose to do - to keep moving forward."

Oscar walks up next to you, "Saint... The fairytale of the girl who served the gods."

You extended your arm out as if you were reaching for the moon, "He found me; he saved me; therefore, I felt I had to follow his orders." You sighed, returning to your original state. "When the time comes, I'll be there next to you. I will be your sword and shield."

"Arent you afraid if they will abandon you? They took you here, and you've never spoken to them since. What do you gain from all this?"
"Love." Oscar felt anxious hearing your answer, he felt as if he wanted to cry, "I throw my life for others, and I want to know how it would feel on the receiving end. And Ozpin gave me a glimpse of that."

You smile at him; Oscar looks down slightly "(Y/n), I'm sorry."
"Don't be; I should be the one sorry. Letting you know now, if you ever want to return to your normal farm life, you are more than welcome to." You stand up as Oscar never took his eyes off of you, "I'll take care of everything." You patted Oscar's head; the moment you remove your hand, Oscar reaches out for it. He takes your hand and muzzles his face on your palm, "I don't want you to be alone again."

Oscar then realizes what he just did and blushes brightly, "Ah! Sorry, I should have not-" You laugh at Oscar's actions, crouching once more, you plant a kiss on his forehead, "Still the same." You give Oscar a bright smile and walk back upstairs.

"Remarkable, isn't she?"
"Yeah. She must've been one of the best Huntresses at Beacon, huh?"
"In some ways, yes. But in many others... no. Saint... Is a different story; she's witnessed everything throughout history; she has more demons than anyone I know; some are my own that we share."

"That's why you told me not to lie to her; this must be hard on her too. The Gods must have deeply cared about her."
"She is strong but can handle so much; that's why she is the only one to be trusted by the gods."
"I'm scared that one day, it would be too much for her to handle."

End of Vol. 5 Chapter 5

Guess who's not dead? That's right; it's me! Volume 8 is out, and I'm ready to cry with everyone once again.