Treasure Jones

"So that's how it's gone be? You gone disrespect me like that?"

The second I sat my phone down, DayQuan's ass came flying through the door. He had clearly been listening in on my conversation. I felt kind of bad because we had actually been getting along great. I hadn't even mentioned that he was supposed to be gone 2 days ago because I wasn't ready for him to go. This was the first time in my adult life that I had in-house dick, he had started working again, so he wasn't coming in at any hour of the night, and we had been getting to know each other a lot better. He even stayed up with me all night Friday to help me fulfill orders before taking his 4 sons to get haircuts Saturday morning, then brought a hair braider to the house Saturday night who braided Moni, Yah Yah, and Key's hair. Quan was always fine, but now I'm starting to see that his trifling ass also had some potential. I wasn't going to be rude with him, because I understood his frustration.

"I'm not trying to disrespect you Quan. You already know how I feel about Keese. I promise you that him calling was random. I haven't spoken to since I saw him last Sunday." I added. "Plus, we have been in the house all day, getting out would be good for Key and she needs to be around him."

"You ain't even told that nigga he her daddy yet! You just wanna be in that nigga face! Fuck out of here." He yelled, storming out of my office room.

I sat back in my chair and came to the conclusion that he was big mad. I could've argued that I didn't say anything when he took his all baby mamas to dinner on Thursday for their monthly "family" meeting, or the fact that he revealed that all of them live in properties that he own, rent free, and I had no say in any of those matters, but at this point, I thought it was better to say nothing at all. As I finished up my work, I wondered where he and I would go at this point.

I pulled beside Keese in the parking lot facing the zoo at approximately 12:55. Keese got out of his car and greeted me with open arms before he went around and took Key out of her car seat. She yelled his name in excitement before placing her head on his shoulder as if that was where she belonged. We headed towards the entrance in silence. I followed behind him as he showed Key the different animals, explaining different facts about each of them. They shared their own jokes and giggles as I watched on in silence. Their connection was so natural and strong that I almost felt left out. Even as people approached him requesting pictures and autographs, he never put Key down. He was so attentive towards her that no one could tell it was only their second time being around each other. It wasn't until we sat down at a little cafe in the zoo to eat that either of them bothered to acknowledge my presence.
"You good, Tres?" He asked looking at me. "That nigga ain't trip on you too much?"
"He was a little mad, but it's going to be okay. Day and I have a complex relationship... but it's going to be fine."
"He got the right to trip. I'll be damn if my girl took our daughter on a date with her ex!" He let out as my face twisted up in confusion.
"What? DayQuan isn't Keyani's father. What you talking about? Mind yo business." I shut that shit down with a quickness.
"My bad, Ma! I just thought..." he paused and his head shot up. "Treasure, how old is Keyani? When her birthday?"
I looked down at the map of the zoo to see where the Lion's Den was located because I would rather run in there with a pocket full of raw steak than to have this conversation with this man right now.
"Key is 3." I muttered, never looking up at him but somehow hearing the gears in his head turn at a million miles per hour.
"Yeah, but when is Keyani's birthday?" He asked again.
"My birthday is January 19!" Key boasted proudly. My baby was so smart that I wanted to flip her lil ass out of that booster seat.
He'd catch me before I was able to make it to the Lion's Den. My only options at this point were to face the music or get trampled by the nearest elephants.
Finally peeking up, I should've kept my head buried in that map. Keese was frozen, like I'd shocked him still with a revelation that never left my lips. His head began to shake as if he couldn't accept the truth that was sitting right beside him.
"Naw man, you wouldn't do that to me, Treasure." He denied. "You! You of all people wouldn't do me dirty like this. Not you! I can take bullshit from anybody else, but I know you haven't been hiding the fact that you gave birth to my child for three motherfucking years!" Keese spat out just above a whisper. His words filled with so much disbelief and hurt caused tears to cloud my eyes. Giving him the unspoken answer he'd been looking for as my head hung in shame.
Keese picked Keyani up and stared into her face as if he was looking for himself in her. Studying her features with a new perspective, he found his nose on her face. He noticed that even though she shared my eyes and my wide smile, Keyani had the same lips and the gap between her teeth that he did. Her skin tone, a mixture of us both, my golden undertones sat below the touch of chocolate he provided. He pulled her into his chest in the tightest hug a three-year old can stand. Releasing her from his chest, he sat her on the table and stared at her some more.
Key being ever so observant noticed the tears burning at the brim of his eyes.
"What's wrong Keez?" she asked rubbing at his face with her greasy fingers. "You hungry still? You can have mines!" As if he wanted the pizza she'd picked over.
He smiled before kissing her hands.
"Your mommy hurt my feelings. She kept a secret from us." He spoke softly.
Keyani's head turned to me as if a demon possessed her body.
"Momma you got a secret?" She demanded. "Tell me, I won't tell nobody!"
"It's not a secret anymore, baby." I said as I went to pull her into me. Keese scooped her back into his arms almost refusing to let her out of his possession. Not wanting to alarm or scare her, I rose from my seat and joined them on the opposite side of the table. Lowering myself down to be eye level with Key, feeling the heat of Keese's glaring eyes. I swallowed my pride as I tried to form the words to explain this situation to my baby.
"Keyani, Mommy kept a secret from you and Keese. And it's not fair to you or Keese that I did. If I share my secret with you, do you think you can forgive Mommy for making the biggest mistake ever?" I asked.
"Yes Mommy, I won't be mad at you."
"Key Key, Keese is your Daddy."

Speaking those words, I felt like a weight had been lifted off my chest. My next breath made me feel lighter than I'd felt in years. I know Mon'Keese was fuming inside, but at that moment, in the stinky ass zoo, I felt better than I had in years.