Treasure Brooks

After a long exhausting day in the clinic, I really just wanted to go home. My original plan was to meet Keese at his home when I got off, but I wasn't feeling it. Upon calling him, he informed me that Tiny had picked up Keyani earlier and they'd yet to return. So, we agreed that when he returned "his babydoll" to me on Sunday, we'd go over a custody agreement and child support papers he'd had drafted up. I let him know that I didn't need child support from him, but he insisted that he wanted to make sure Key lived the same life he'd become accustomed to at both of our homes. Not being in the mood to go back and forth with him, I let him make it. For 3 years, I'd taken care of my child just fine. I didn't need him throwing his wealth in my face now. I'm extremely thankful that I'm off tomorrow and Keyani will remain with her father through the weekend because I am beat. Secretly, I was praising him because I'd needed this break. I'm extremely fatigued and feel like I've just been dragging for the last couple of days. I planned on sleeping in tomorrow until around noon because I had a doctor's appointment to see what was going on with me.
DayQuan has been so busy with getting the twins adjusted and getting back into work that we've hardly seen each other. I can't say I'm not enjoying this new leaf he'd turned. Since the twins had moved in with him full time, he'd been going straight home after work and had his ass out of the streets. This weekend the furniture and decor I had ordered for downstairs would be delivered, so I would most likely stay the weekend at his house.
But tonight... tonight I plan on unwinding and enjoying myself in the comfort of my own home.
Or so I thought... because turning onto my street, the first thing I spotted was that damn yellow car. Even though I missed Day, I needed some alone time. Pulling my truck into the driveway, I walked into the house and was greeted by silence. A quick look around downstairs let me know that he wasn't down here. I headed upstairs and heard his snores coming from my bedroom. Looking over him, he looked like he was beat. I continued to my bathroom and started the water for my bath. As the water filled the tub, I added in some bath salts and a bath bomb. As I undressed, the wine that I desperately needed crossed my mind. So, I threw on my robe to go grab it out of the fridge. When I got to the kitchen, I noticed a folder that hadn't been there before. Peeking into it, it was a bill of sale to the storefront on Montrose along with pictures of the of the property.
DayQuan had brought it... for me.
I walked back upstairs and jumped in the bed on top of DayQuan and covered him with kisses.
"I know you ain't miss me like that." He sleepily let out. "Yo ass must've been snooping. I knew you was gone run your ass to the fridge. You feeding the last of my bunch." He smirked.
"Actually, I went get my wine! DayQuan, I'm not pregnant." I let his ass know as I headed to the bathroom.
Day got up from the bed and followed behind me into the bathroom. He watched me disrobe and test the water before stepping in. I took one sip of my wine before it was snatched from my hand.
"My babies don't need that." Pouring my wine out in the sink, he slid out of his boxers as he walked back to the tub. "Scoot up."
Leaning forward, he joined me in the water.
"This was supposed to be my relaxation time, Day." I pouted.
"Shid, lay back and relax then." He pulled my body back into his chest. "I need this time too. These kids running a nigga up the wall. Jordi and Alexis con-artist asses dropped Lon and Yah Yah off on Tuesday and never brought they asses back. Mond hates school in Pearland and Moni started her damn period. I started crying because I already know I'm gone kill a nigga behind my princess. And they eat all damn day. I had to go get groceries twice this week. Then you ain't had time for nigga, and that's the last straw. I can't take that." I laughed at him as he continued. "I'm so serious Treasure. You a nigga peace. Even when you be tripping and get to throwing yo big ass head around. I love that shit. I need it. You keep me sane even when you trying to drive me crazy. You checked out that folder?"
"Yes, I saw that. How'd you even know I was looking for a storefront? I mean, this is the second time you've mentioned it, but we never talked about me looking for one." I questioned him.
"You don't think I see that big ass vision board in your office? A million dollars profit next year is the goal, right? That location is perfect for you. White people throw money around there like it's crazy and it's not too far from the hood where black people gone feel unwelcomed or uncomfortable. You gone see your million next year, Baby. I'll make sure of that." He nodded.
I was taken aback at how much attention DayQuan paid to me. Ever since we had that argument the night after the zoo incident, I'd realized that maybe I am self-centered. It isn't meant in a way of arrogance, but more out of self-preservation. I felt like I owed DayQuan an apology and an explanation.
"Day, I owe you an apology. I'm sorry it took you doing all of this for me... well for us, to get me to open my eyes and see that you mean well. I had to check myself. I've been very unfair to you for a long time. I've been comparing you to Mon'Keese and punishing you for his mistakes. Without even realizing or appreciating the fact that you've been my side whenever I allowed you to be. When I left Mon'Keese, I was hurt, without a doubt hurt, but I also realized that I spent my teenage years revolving around him. My daily routine was based on whatever Keese needed or whatever Keese wanted us to do. I didn't even like being a cheerleader. I fucking hated being around those preppy ass bitches, but I did it to never miss being there for him. I excelled in the shit because I had to be the best for him. So, when I left Texas A&M by myself, and he didn't even bother reaching out to me, I decided that I would start living for me. It wasn't until Keyani came that my life shifted. I was in a transitional period when I met you and instead of allowing you to be a part of that, I shut you out at the first sign that you weren't picture perfect. For that I apologize, and I also thank you for not giving up on me because if you treated me the way I've treated you, I would've been bounced." I turned around and kissed him as he raised me up to slide into me, a thought popped into my head. "Wait, bae... if you here, where are the kids? I know you ain't left the babies with the twins!"
"Hell no, they not about to tear down my house. I dropped all of their asses to Jordi and Alexis' duplex. I told them either they get these kids or they wasn't getting their child support." He's so damn silly.
"Why do you make them live in a duplex? They don't get into it? It's kind of weird that they're always together being that they share a baby daddy."
"Jordi and Alexis always together because they're together. They're lesbians! Why do you think I call them scam artists? Check this shit out, I've never slept with Alexis a day in my life. While me and Jordi was doing our thing, she introduced me to Alexis as her best friend. While Jordi was pregnant with Lon, my company took off. Jordi, Alexis, and the baby was living in a one-bedroom apartment in fifth ward. The money was rolling in, so I offered to put Jordi in a better spot. Jordi swore that Alexis had to live with her to help her with the baby. I was cool with that because I knew I wasn't going to live with her, and they both damn sure couldn't live with me. Boom, she shows me these townhouse duplexes on the East. It was convenient because the plant that I was working in at the time was on the East. They had 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, shit that was perfect for them. I just ended up buying both of the conjoining units because I got a good ass deal on them and I could rent the other one out." He paused. "So, one night, I get off and go to see Lon before I head home. Jordi had cooked and wanted me to stay the night. We get to drinking and I noticed that they was being extra touchy-feely and shit. At this point, me and Jordi not together, but shit, now I wanna know if they're just close or if they're fucking. I asked, they let me know what it was. And I was like cool. So, long story short. I get fucked up and end up in the bed with Jordi. She put a condom on. We fucked. She cleaned me up. I get up the next morning and go on with my life. A few months later, I come though, Alexis big and pregnant. I congratulate her on the pregnancy and keep it moving. Only for her to congratulate me back, I'm like, huh? She said this that big 6 baby daddy. I'm confused because I know I ain't fuck her. I pull Jordi to the side and she like, well, me and Alexis share everything else, we decided to share you too. Our kids gone be siblings. Yah Yah was born, I took a DNA test, and she is mines. So, I gave Alexis the other duplex. I know they live in one and rent out the other one. They're good though. I can depend on them for a lot and they pulled up Jr 'nem mama last week. So, she been calling about letting me get the boys. I appreciate them for stepping up with the shit that's going on with J'Dore, too. But if they can catch me slipping, they gone take full advantage." He laughed.
"That's fucking crazy DayQuan." I was blown. That's some shit you see in a movie.
"That's another reason why I introduce myself as Luca. I don't need nobody else catching me slipping." We laughed and made our way to my bedroom. "If a bitch google me, she gone try to get me pregnant. No way."
"You gotta work in the morning?" He asked.
"NO! I'm sleeping in until I go to the doctor tomorrow afternoon. I haven't been feeling great." I replied.
"Lets go check on my babies then. I put twins in you a few weeks ago."
"I know you lying!" I screamed.
"You gone see tomorrow."

As I stared across the room, I wanted to slap that smirk off of DayQuan's face. My doctor had just come in and confirmed that I am indeed pregnant. I was about to be this nigga's fifth baby mama. It was taking everything inside of me not to cry.
"You gone be alright girl. Fix your face, Five." He said.
"DayQuannnn, don't say shit to me! Before I slap the black off you! You did this shit on purpose." I yelled, storming out of the room. He followed behind me just chuckling away like shit was funny. "Go pay the bill since you trapping people. I have to use the restroom."

Standing at the sink in the restroom, I released every tear I had been holding. Now was not the time to be pregnant. He saw my board, I had work to do this year. Pregnancy was only going to slow me down. I can't believe I hadn't been more careful and protected myself. Yet, as badly as I would like to call Plan Parenthood, I knew that would break DayQuan's heart. Sniffling away, a tap on my shoulder startled me.
"I guess you just got the same news I got." The lady said, handing me a tissue. "If pregnancy is supposed to be a blessing, why do I feel like I'm cursed?"
"Thank you. I'm not upset that I'm pregnant, per say. It's just a bad time and my "man" already has 4 baby mamas. I'm too fly to be a nigga fifth baby mama! Da fuck?" I said while wiping my eyes.
"Oh no, Sis, you bold as fuck if you let a man with 4 baby mamas even breath the same air as you." We laughed. "My situation... it's complicated. I wouldn't even say he's my man. He's not going to be happy about this. I don't know anyone here and I'm thousands of miles away from my family and now I'm probably going to be out of a job. This is just too much." She burst out crying again. "Then, I'm already five months with a very active little boy."
Damn, here I am crying because of a little dent in my plans. Listening to this woman's situation made me feel like shit because I'm actually very fortunate. DayQuan was damn sure going to take care of this baby. I had enough streams of revenue to cut back on something and still be okay. I could take my time and open my store. Maybe I was looking at this the wrong way. Almost immediately, I felt guilty. I don't have shit to cry about, it's time to celebrate. My thoughts were interrupted by a bang on the door.
"Baby, you good in there?" DayQuan's voice boomed from the other side of the door.
"Yeah, I'll be out in a second." I smiled wiping away my unnecessary tears. I pulled out one of my business cards from my bag and handed it to the lady.
"I know this is awkward, but take my card. Give me a call if you need a friend or just to vent. I think everything is going to be just fine." I told her while pulling her into a hug. "Since you said you don't have anyone... You got me now, I'm definitely a somebody." I giggled. "Call me... I'm sorry, I didn't get your name?"
"It's LaLa." She smiled.
"LaLa, Text me now, so I can have your number. Let me know how things are going with you! You just helped me more than you could even imagine. Thank you."

As I exited the bathroom, Day was still standing at the door. I wrapped my arms around his neck and gave him a deep kiss on his lips.
"Treasure, I know you ain't been in that bathroom getting high." He joked.
"I just had an epiphany."
"You can't be taking ecstasy while you pregnant." I think he was serious this time.
"DayQuan, go get the car. I can see you about to drive me crazy for these next 9 months." I said.
"Do you ever see the bigger picture? I'm trying to drive you crazy for the rest of your life!" Grabbing a handful of my ass, he kissed me on my forehead.
"My wife..." He said walking away with that smirk.

I'm starting to like that damn smirk.