Chapter nine.

She twirled in front of the body length mirror. The ruffles on the loose white silk dress rustling as she beamed . Her grey eyes shone happily at the simple but perfect dress her father had bought her for her twenty first birthday. She pulled her long brown hair into a high pony tail before running out of the room in excitement.

" Mom ? Dad ? I'm ready..." She called out as she entered the tiny sitting room but she saw no one.

She frowned. She looked around then heard voices at the front porch. She ran out , her mood still jolly ...

" I'm sorry miss, but your husband is under arrest for the murder of Mr and Mrs Foster - "

" What ?! No officer , please check your records again ...this is a mistake. No ! It's a mistake, " the brown haired woman shook her head vigorously.

" I'm sorry ma'am but it's true , "

" No ! No ! No ! It's a lie! " The brown haired woman yelled at the officer who pulled handcuffs and approached the grey eyed handsome man beside her who had a forlorn look.

" Charles ? Tell me it's not true...honey, please why are you not denying... Tell me it's not true ?! " The woman coaxed her husband who shook his head gently and refused to meet her gaze.

" You ! Y- you promised! Honey , you promised me you'd stay away from Rafael! Tell me it's not true! Please , I'm begging you! " The woman was now grabbing the man's face , looking for any sign of his innocence on the emotionless face as the police officer cuffed him.

" I'm sorry, " was all he whispered as he looked deeply into her brown eyes. The police officer dragged him and he averted his gaze to the young woman behind his wife . He stared longingly at her , her grey eyes that were very much like his own now tearful.

" Why ? " He heard her mutter in a broken voice as he was forcefully pushed inside the blue car.

****

" ...is the prisoner at the bar not guilty or guilty ? "

" Guilty , "

" Guilty of murder ? "

" Murder, "

" In the first degree ? "

" In the first degree..."

The words echoed in her mind as she looked at the grey eyed man . The lawyer she had gone out of her way to hire despite of his ridiculous price tried his best to no avail. Her father was guilty.

" ...may the accused stand... Mr. Charles Dwayne , you are hereby charged with first degree murder of Mr and Mrs Foster at their home on the twenty second of June of the past year. You are condemned to death by lethal injection. You are to be kept confined in prison till the thirtieth of this month when you shall be escorted to the execution grounds. ...may the Lord have mercy on your soul..."

" No ! " The word rang throughout the court room as the brown haired woman beside her begun to hyperventilate.

" Mom ? Mom ? " Her youthful but small hands grasped the larger shaking ones as hot tears rolled down her cheeks.

She watched the brown eyes begin to roll up her head and she panicked.

" Mommy? " She called out as she watched things go out of control. The woman was seized by a fit. She panicked , never ever in her life time had she seen her mother like this.

She was not aware of the helping hands that moved her away as they took her for medical attention. Her head snapped up and met with grey ones that were filled with deep sorrow and guilt. The man mouthed her name , a tear rolling down his cheek as they took him away.