Chapter 3

Beat of the culture.

The answer is, it was the best time of the year!

In the Philippines, we have the longest celebration of the Nativity of Jesus Christ. From September to December, streets are filled with the sweet, captivating aroma of puto bumbong and bibingka,a Filipino delicacy. Groups of children roam the town singing the world’s favorite Christmas carols. And the best of all, every corner of the town is decorated with lights of playful colors, breath- taking lanterns of stars, moon and comets, and kindness hugging every person living in the country.

"Seems like the mass is starting in any minute." I whispered to myself. I entertained my sleepy brain with the intricately made lanterns hung in the ceiling of the church. Added by the fascinating and breath-taking painting on it, just like the Sistine Chapel, but just a part.

"Hey, Venus, is the seat taken?" I heard a voice of another lady. "Oh, Aunt Martha.Uh, no. Uhh you can..." My mother answered. "Thank you. Oh, hello there Sally!" She waved her hands and I smiled back.

"In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."

The mass has begun and the choir sang beautifully.

I bowed and smiled. I remember my grandma, Dad's Mom. She's my favorite grandma in the world. She would send and fetch me to school and would buy me ice cream!

"Oh careful, sweetie. You might catch a cold and your Daddy will scold you." I can clearly hear her voice in my mind.

When Luke, my brother, arrived, she also nursed him all day and reads us bedtime stories.

"Luke is the cutest baby...right love?" She would touch Luke's nose and smile.

"Grandma loves you so much, you and your sister Sally."

She would hug us and give us cookies and many snacks which I love the most. I love my grandma so much. But she passed away 2 years ago due to her battle with cancer. I knew Grandma fought a good fight and I know she's happy with Grandpa wherever they are now.

The thought of her made my eyes shed a tear. I wish I could hug her. I always pray to God to give us a visiting hour in heaven so that I can hug her for hours.

"I miss you so much Grandma. I know you're watching me." I uttered.

"Please all rise."