26 - Reality: Part Four

Bella smiles as she watches Renesmee color. Renee smiles too. "You can go outside, mom, it's fine." She says. They told Renee that Ness has sensitive skin so she can't be in the sun, so they don't go out either. It's a shitty excuse but it works for a few days.

"I don't mind staying in. I'm glad I get to finally meet her and spend time with you... How is she." Her tone changes a little as she mentions Blake.

"2 years sober, mom." Bella rolls her eyes.

"Is she, though?" Renee asks. "For all we know she's just really good at hiding it, she did for years." Renee whisper-yells.

Bella sighs heavily. "Mom, quit it. She isn't taking. Why are you so obsessed with this?"

Renee glares. "Blake wouldn't even take Tylenol for a headache. She never took flu medication. She never touched a thing." Renee snaps. "And out of the blue she has an addiction and your dad's sending her to treatment. You really think he was clueless for that long?"

Bella sighs. "It was a lot for her... I wasn't the best sister, she lost a part of herself and didn't know how to find it again."

"Excuses Bella. Tell me you aren't the least bit curious? Tell me you aren't suspicious of her in any way. And the way she marries that boy so quickly? I wasn't even aware they were engaged. She runs away for a year. She comes back with money from who knows where. That friendship she has with that doctor, that's bordering on immoral and unethical."

"I mean... Its... The situation isn't easy, ma." Bella says. Deep down, some of the things her mom says is sounding sort of right. Like it fits. Apart from the imprinting, which explains Embry, nothing else makes sense about Blake. Why did she leave? Where did the addiction come from? Why has everything happened the way it did?

Renee watches her daughter. "I'm right, you know I am-"

"Bella? Shall we start getting ready for dinner?" Edward interrupts.

Bella and Renee straighten up and Bella smiles at her husband. "Coming." She says, looking at her mom before she follows her husband.

Edward waits until the door is shut before he crosses his arms. "What is all that about."

"Mom sort of... She's made some good points." Bella says, scratching her neck as she sighs. "Blake is erratic. She's irresponsible."

"She has been, yes. But haven't you?" Edward says.

Bella raises an eyebrow. "Why are you suddenly defending her." She crosses her arms.

Edward scoffs. "Yeah, well I can't believe I am either. You know why Carlisle called? He told me to ask you if you can talk to Blake. She's hurt herself pretty bad, had an accident, but she won't accept help. She can't even think about taking the weakest painkillers because she's so terrified." Edward snaps. "You know how much pain she must be in!?"

Bella tries not to automatically give the desired response. "Did she have an accident?" She asks. "Because she's done this before. A sprained wrist here, a fall there. We've all fallen for it."

"Alice saw it, it was an accident. It happened in the parking lot of the store and she called Emmett in tears. You think she'd have gone to that lengths after all this time?" He asks, raising his eyebrows. "She's sober Bella. And she's actually hurt."

Bella takes a deep breath. "Well, why won't she take the painkillers then? She should be hungry for them."

"Oh Bella, grow up!" He snaps. "You were rooting for her up until we got here. You think it's easy for her?! I haven't ever been her biggest fan. I haven't given her the time of day. But right now, I'm telling you I believe her. She needs your support, not your doubt."