33 - New Dawn: Part Three

An - only a few chapters left of this!

"How can you look so good at 4 months pregnant?" Emily huffs as she looks at her friend sat opposite her.

Blake looks down at her bloated belly and shrugs, dipping her chip in guac. "I haven't even noticed... Still kinda waiting for the cards to crumble." She shoves a chip in her mouth to cover the awkward silence.

Emily smiles sadly. "It won't happen. You're what, 16ish weeks? You're passed the risky first months, you've got a proper baby in there now with legs and stuff." She smiles encouragingly.

"I know I know... Just... Embry has his hopes up. And I know Mylo is warming to the idea. What if this just turns out like every other time? I only have one shitty ovary left and a hostile womb to go with it. God I feel like Meredith Grey whining about her hostile womb. Have I turned into Meredith Grey?"

Emily laughs. "Does that make me Cristina? Can't I be izzy? She's a model for Christ sake."

Blake laughs small. "I'm serious, I feel so whiny. Why can I not enjoy this? Every other woman does, you did."

"Oh no, I did not. I spent the first 20 weeks with my head down the toilet and the other 20 going to the toilet every 5 minutes. My baby girl was worth it but she'll certainly be an only child for the rest of her life." Emily sits up. "Lemme try something."

Blake eats another chip as Emily disappears upstairs for a moment, coming back with a white box thing in her hand. "Okay, a box, wow."

Emily rolls her eyes and sits beside her friend. "It's a doppler, like a mini ultrasound. Cmon, I'm gonna find the heartbeat so you can know its real."

"No no, it's fine, I had my 12 week scan, I'll wait till my 20-" Blake tries to refused.

"Blake." Emily sighs. "Alice told me you covered your eyes and ears during the scan."

Blake scowls. "When did you talk to Alice!"

"She and I have become... Friends... In many words." Emily smiles. "Come on. I want to prove to you that there's nothing to be afraid of."

Blake bites her lip. "Em... What if..."

"No what ifs. Let's break this cycle, you need to enjoy this and right now you're not." She says gently.

Blake sighs and leans her head back as she pulls her shirt up. She flinches a little as Em pushes the small wand into her tummy and moves it around, silence filling the room around them. I told her this, there's no heart beat, it was too good to be-

Blake lifts her head fast, her eyes wide and blurry with tears, as Emily grins. "There it is!"

"Oh my god..." She whispers.

"That's your baby, Blake." Emily grins.

Blake looks down at her tummy, then to the machine in Ems hand. "It's so fast, is thst-that normal?"

"Yeah, babies are tiny, it's normal." She giggles.

Embry comes in with Mylo, both soaked from the rain. "Hey guys, what's this?"

"This is your baby's heart, Embry." Emily grins.

Embrys eyes widen. "Yo... Really?"

Mylo runs over to Blake's side. "What that Bake?"

"That's brother or sister." She smiles, kissing his head. "How cool." She smiles a little more at the thought. Okay maybe it isn't so bad to get her hopes up.

Emily giggles at their faces. "You guys are too cute."

Blake pushes Em away as she rolls her eyes, embarrassed. She tucks her tummy away and eats one more chip before getting up. "You guys ready to go see pop?"