Chapter Eight: Playing Pretend

I have no idea why I got myself involved. Or why I did what I did. There was no need. I didn't have to prove anything to them about my statement. It's just...at the time it seemed like the easiest solution without bringing out fists.

Though, I'm glad Gabriel went along with it and that I remembered his name correctly. It would have been really embarrassing if it was something else.

It feels  like I'm dragging him along behind me but I just want, need, to get away from those bullies. Who knows if what I did helped or made the matter worse. At least he is okay for now. He isn't being used as a human punching bag and having insults thrown his way left and right. I know how that feels. Maybe that's why I was so determined to help out. No one should have to endure that from another human being. I had Blake, maybe now I could be Gabriel's Blake. If that makes sense at all. Though, I don't think Blake would appreciate me bringing some random boy home. Or that I even have to go to the extent at all.

Brushing aside all of these crazy thoughts, I release Gabriel's hand as soon as we turn the corner and hasten my steps.

I need to get to the parking lot before Brandon throws a fit. Or becomes concerned that I haven't exited yet. I don't want to cause a problem the first day of me hanging out with my new friend.

"Wait, where are you going?"

I don't even look over my shoulder while I reply. "Home."

Is it rude? Sure, but I have places I need to be. I wasted too much time helping him. Even if I would do it again in a heartbeat. Apparently Gabriel doesn't necessarily approve of my dismissal of him. He makes the notion clear by calling out to me.

"You're not even going to talk to me about what happened back there?" He asks incredulously.

I roll my eyes in exasperation. It's not that I don't want to talk to him. It's just that I have precious few minutes before Brandon storms in here demanding answers. Having him come crashing threw the doors like some invading nation, because I have no doubt that is how he would react, would only cause further delays and problems. There is no telling how many faculty members are still within the building and Brandon shouldn't bring that kind of attention upon me. I don't want that type of attention on me.

Nothing happened really so he shouldn't need to worry. Somehow I know Gabriel will spill the beans as soon as he gets a chance. He'll probably embellish on things too. Spinning a tale far wilder than what actually happened. Only deepening the hole I'll find myself in if Brandon doesn't see me coming out these double doors soon.

I can't afford that. I won't chance running off the few friends I've seemed to acquire so far.

"I'm sorry Gabriel. I really am, but I'm late. I promise I will talk to you tomorrow if you want."

When I turn around to look at him, I keep my same fast pace, only backward. My feet easily guide me where I need to go as I maintain eye contact with the boy I kissed earlier. I've experienced the same affection from Blake, but it's different when I initiate it. I'm not sure how exactly, but it is.

"It wasn't that big of a deal anyways. I just did what any human being would do in that situation."

With that, I turn back, leaving a flabbergasted Gabriel in my wake.

I spot the black SUV in the sea of vehicles within the lot. Making my way swiftly to the car, I barely manage to dodge the other students. I do clip one guy's arm but promptly issue an apology while continuing my trek.

An angry grunt is all I hear in response, but I don't pay it much attention. It's a common occurance within the halls, I'm sure he is just as tired of issuing apologizes as I was.