Chapter Eleven: Surprise

I jerk away from Mr. Blackbourne at the sound of Brandon's loud voice. I completely forgot that he would be waiting for me outside the school. His voice has a panicked tone to it that I know comes from worrying about me. He must have seen everyone evacuating the school and come to investigate. I wonder how he got in. I turn my face to him and see him just inside the door frame. Eyes wide, jaw clenched, and his hair a mess as if he has been running his fingers through it and yanking. When he sees my eyes on him, he marches toward me. Not even caring about the body that is next to me at the moment, he shoves his way through to place himself smack dab in front. He grabs my face in both of his hands and just stares into my eyes. I can tell he is reassuring himself that I'm fine, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to help him. I place my hands on the outside of his arms, near his biceps and give a slight squeeze. His eyes close at the touch but when they open back up I murmur to him that I'm just fine.

I don't think it's enough because the next thing I know I'm being folded into a warm embrace. His arms squeeze tightly around my shoulders, burying me into his chest. I go with it. I slide my arms around his waist, one moving upwards along his spine and pulling myself in closer. I allow my eyes to shut and just enjoy the hug. I've not been shown much kindness. It seems now when I do receive it, I just want to soak it in as much as possible. Hoping it will not be the last time I'm given it. After a few minutes, he pulls away again but his hands come back up to my cheeks. He squats a little so that he can look into my eyes. I guess so I can see how much worry I have caused him. Not that he is angry.

"I got to the school a little early today. So I was sitting in the parking lot when several students and faculty made their way out onto the lawn. At first, I didn't think anything about it. Figured it was a normal routine, but when I saw even more than what I'm used to, I knew something was up. This was confirmed when many of them turned to look back at the building. When I stepped out of my car that is when I heard the fire alarm blaring through the halls."

He takes a deep breath. Like this is hard for him to tell me.

"I made my way to a group of kids. They didn't seem to be paying much attention to what was happening around them. I heard their conversation. They were talking about how this was just a prank for a group of people to throw someone over the balcony. Something that happens every year. I scanned the crowd for you, but you are so small. I remembered that Corey put you on the tracking app so I pulled that up."

Several growls are unleashed throughout the room, but I know that Brandon is only focusing on me. He sees the way my eyes widen at that statement.

"I know, I know. We will talk about that when we get home. I promise."

Is it weird the way my body reacts when he says 'when we get home'? I feel myself wanting to melt at those four simple words. Words that have never had much meaning to me, but now feel as if they are everything. I would love to have a home with Brandon. With Blake. With Corey. But is that something that can become a reality? Is that what I'm doing now with Blake? Is that what he thinks is happening? I'm brought from my musings as Brandon tightens his grip on my face. He mouths the words 'later' but I guarantee some of the others in the room know exactly what was said. Probably even where my head just went.

"I pulled the app up and saw that you were still inside. The faculty were not letting anyone in, but I snuck into one of the back doors and followed your dot until I spotted you in here. You looked so pale. I got worried and bellowed out for you. What are you doing with these guys?"

That's when he actually takes a look around the room. He notices who he pushed out of the way to get to me.

"Owen?"

Mr. Blackbourne gives a dip of his head. "Mr. Henshaw. It's good to see you again," he replies politely.

Brandon looks around more. He takes in the other eight men in the room before bringing his eyes back to me. I give a little shrug. Not sure how I'm supposed to respond. He finally removes his hands from my face, but I instantly miss the heat they were providing. I don't have to sulk for long. He ends up perching beside me on the desktop and laying his arm across my shoulders, tucking me into his side. Several of the guys in the room lift a curious brow at the gesture. I can feel a blush wanting to spread.