waking him up for cuddles

You've spent the last hour wide awake and frustrated while your boyfriend was out like a light beside you.

At first, you tried to soothe yourself by watching the steady rise and fall of his back that faced you. You tried to resist the urge to wake him because his day was overwhelming and hectic and he really needed some sleep. But the longer that you laid there the more restless you became. And now, you're beginning to lose hope that you'll even sleep tonight.

But if one thing could help to calm you down, it's your boyfriend.

You were hesitant to wake him. You could still hear the small snores escaping his parted lips, but you need to.

You need him.

Your hand fell against his back. You brushed your fingers along his skin until he hummed and opened his eyes.

He first looked at the numbers on the clock. It read 1:46 am, and he realized then that he hadn't been sleeping for long.

"Y/n?" He mumbled your name as he turned over to face you. His eyes looked heavy and even though he was listening and waiting for you to tell him whatever was on your mind, he still let them flutter shut.

"Luke? I can't sleep."

He stretched his legs out and then opened his eyes once more. "What do you need me to do, baby?"

"Cuddle with me," you pouted.

Thanks to the moonlight shining through the window, he could see the pout on your lips, and he chuckled tiredly.

"I can't believe you woke me up for cuddles. That's adorable. Come here." He opened his arms for you and you instantly crawled into them. You hummed as he enveloped you in his warm embrace. With a tired smile, he kissed your cheek.

"I love you."

"I love you too, y/n. Even though you woke me up at almost two in the morning."

Your ear was pressed right over his heart, allowing you to hear each and every beat of his heart. "Sorry."

"Don't be. It's what I'm here for! To hold you and to remind you that it's all okay when you need me. Now, are you comfy? Do you feel like you can fall asleep now or do you need something else?"

His words sent your heart aflutter. You kissed his chest, hoping he could feel the love you felt for him with every beat of your heart against his.

"Maybe sing to me? Your voice is really calming."

He knew exactly what to sing to you, right away.

"I'll give you the best years."

You closed your eyes, listening to his voice and the beat of his heart. There in his arms, you finally fell asleep, grateful that he's always there for you when you need him most.