Chapter 3

A few weeks after her intense fight with Peggy, things are finally starting to calm down.... just in time for Peggy's birthday! Dottie started the day scrambling eggs as the twins gushed with excitement over their mom's birthday.

"Do old people still like video games?" Mikey asked.

"We could get Mom a chemistry set!" Eddie exclaimed.

"Both great ideas.... but if we want to find the perfect gift, we need to think about what she likes. Starting with what kind of person she is."

"Old!" Mikey shouted.

"And.... nice?"

"Yes. Old and nice. But your mom is also down-to-earth and hardworking. She likes simple, practical solutions and has a lot of common sense, so maybe a home-cooked meal made by her kids?"

"I hope you're not making a big deal out of another trip around the sun." They heard Peggy say as she entered the room, adjusting her blazer. For just a moment, Dottie caught a glimpse of her midrift and swallowed. "Good morning, everyone."

"Happy birthday, birthday girl!"

"Oh no, please, it's-"

"The anniversary of the birth of Peggy Carter! A momentous occasion!" Half-teasing, she wrapped Peggy in a tight embrace, but as soon as she felt her body pressed up against hers, Dottie pulled away.

"Thank you."

"Happy birthday, Mom!" Eddie said.

"You don't look a day over a hundred!" Mikey joked and Peggy slipped onto the stool next to him, ruffling his hair.

"Well, that's a relief."

"Yeah, what's your secret?" Dottie asked, playing along. "For someone so ancient, you look pretty incredible."

"Drinking lots of water.... and steering clear of beautiful women." Peggy said, her eyes lingering on her for a moment too long before she gathers her things for work. "I'll see you all this evening. Mikey, don't burn the house down. Eddie.... watch your brother."

"What? But I'm older!" Mikey retorted.

"Don't worry. I'll keep a close eye on him, Mom!"

Peggy briskly headed out the door for work and Dottie tried to shake the suspicion that she didn't say goodbye to her because she's trying to keep her distance....

~~~~~

Later that day, Dottie walked down through a local farmer's market with Edwin and the boys, looking for inspiration for Peggy's birthday dinner.

"Alright, what should we make your mom for her birthday dinner?"

"Chicken nuggets! With a side of quesadillas!" Mikey said excitedly.

"And mozzarella sticks!" Eddie added quickly.

"I'm not sure we'll be able to find any of those here.... Mr. Jarvis, you know Peggy better than I do. You have any suggestions?"

"Ms. Carter is a woman with a sophisticated palate. You can't go wrong with a gourmet meal made from fresh ingredients."

"We're surrounded by fresh ingredients, Jeeves." Eddie pointed out.

"But she's also a woman who appreciates the finer things in life. I've been through my fair share of drive-thrus with her. You can't go wrong either way."

"In that case let's keep it simple, but delicious. A basic appetizer with yummy homemade burgers. What do you think, boys? Can you help me with all that?"