Chapter 9

The morning after the after the argument she overhead between Peggy and Whitney, Dottie tried to keep a low profile as she snuck through the penthouse, hoping to prepare a cold breakfast for the twins and get out before Peggy spotted her. 'They can't fire me if they can't find me, right?' But she walked into the kitchen to find Peggy quietly sipping tea at the kitchen counter.

"Peggy! I didn't expect you to be up so early...."

"I've been meaning to talk to you. You can be a difficult woman to find, when you want to be."

'Oh no, here it comes....' "Beautiful morning we're having, isn't it? It's a great day to be gainfully employed."

"I.... suppose it is. Are you feeling alright?"

"I'm so relived I have a mature boss who doesn't fire people on a whim...."

Peggy reached out to touch her arm. "I'm not going to fire you, Dottie."

"But Whitney-"

"Whitney doesn't get a say in this." Peggy said, almost a little too quickly and a little too aggressively. "Yes, she was upset about what happened at the club, but I wouldn't fire someone just to soothe her ego. Especially when everything you said to Richard was spot on."

"Good, 'cause I'm not gonna stop speaking my mind."

"I wouldn't want you to. Besides, if I fired everyone who voiced their opinion, I'd be an army of one. The world needs more thinkers like you." Peggy tilted her head to the side with a sparkle in her eye. "Actually, that's what I wanted to talk to you about this morning.... your future. I thought maybe you could come with me to the office today. Mr. Jarvis can watch the boys, and I know you have ambitions beyond being a nanny. This is your chance to see a Fortune 500 company up-close and personal."

"Stark Enterprises is a little out of my league, don't you think?"

"Nonsense. I've seen your credentials. I almost handed your resume over to HR instead of hiring you personally."

"Really?" Dottie smirked. "I would've loved working under you.... in any position."

"I don't doubt it. You're very.... capable."

"Thank you, Peg. Or should I call you 'Ms. Carter' again today?"

"'Peggy' is fine. Now, do you wanna tell the boys, or should I?"

~~~~~

Not long after, they arrived at Stark Enterprises. Heads turned as Dottie passed by with Peggy.

"Good morning, Ms. Carter. I made a submission to the patent folder whenever you have a moment to review."

"Excellent. Jason, have you met Dorothy Underwood?"

"Haven't had the pleasure. Are you new here?"

"Oh no, I-"

"Maybe someday, if we're lucky. She just got her master's in chemistry, and shows a lot of promise."

'It's nice to not just be the nanny for once.'

"Ms. Carter, call for you on line one." The receptionist, Rose, said.

"Be right there." Peggy gave Dottie a nod before leaving her and Jason to talk.

"So a chemist! Are you looking to invent or explore?"

"I see myself exploring through studies. I want to do ground breaking research that changes the world."

"Oh, yeah? In what area?"