Chapter 14

The next morning, Dottie woke up at the crack of dawn, despite barely getting a wink of sleep. She heard footsteps and hushed voices in the hallway, then silence. 'She's really gone.' Dottie restlessly tossed and turned for another hour before she dragged herself out of bed to make the boys breakfast. 'Focus, Dottie. Peggy Carter is just a woman. Nothing you can't get over.' Dottie trudged through the penthouse toward the kitchen, dreading the upcoming day with every step.... but stopped short as she spotted a very familiar face in the kitchen.

"Peggy? What are you doing here? I heard you leave this morning...."

"I did a lot of thinking last night, but I didn't come to a conclusion in time to cancel my car earlier."

"What conclusion?"

"That you were right. I was being coward and running from my problems. I sent Angie ahead and postponed my meetings to next week so I could do this right. I'm turning this business trip into a family vacation for all of us."

"You mean...."

"Pack your bags, Dottie. You're coming with me to Italy."

~~~~~

A few days after Peggy's announcement, Dottie and Anya were doing some last minute shopping for the trip.

"Let's see.... I've already packed my sunglasses, deodorant, plenty of socks-"

"Sounds like an old suitcase." Anya cut Dottie off. "Where's the lingerie in this place?"

"That'd just be money down the drain at this point. We're going on a business trip to meet up with her fiancée and stay at the Frosts' villa. Not to mention that I've been avoiding Peggy since our big fight."

"You're avoiding her? Why?"

"'Cause I have no idea what to say! Last time I tried to confront her, it didn't exactly go well." Dottie said, thinking back on that night in Peggy's home office, her face flushing at the thought of Peggy smirking at her from between her legs.

"Pssh. Details."

"Look, Anya, I need you to back off. I know you're just trying to be supportive, but this whole thing is hard enough without the extra pressure."

"Say no more. I've got your back, even if it means shutting the hell up for once. But you still owe it to yourself to look amazing on that nine-hour flight." Anya said, pulling her into one of her favourite stores. It only took Anya a few minutes to find a complete outfit for Dottie to try on. "Imagine yourself relaxing in Tuscany with a glass of wine in one hand while a gorgeous woman feeds you grapes."

"Is that what happens when you wear a trendy outfit in Italy?"

"Wear this and find out."

"Hand it over." Dottie tried it on then emerged from the dressing room and spun around so Anya could get the full effect. "Peggy can eat her heart out.... or not. In this dress, I don't care."

"Hell yeah, you don't! 'Wild and free' is a good look on you, D. Feeling better about your trip?"

"Definitely. I guess I just needed a little retail therapy."

"Happy to be of service." Anya smiled, then it disappeared. "I'm really gonna miss you while you're gone. We've never been as far apart as we will be when you leave. I'm gonna need, like, a daily --no twice daily-- update on what's going on over there, okay?"

"Wouldn't expect anything less." Dottie said. She spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out with Anya, trying not to think too hard about the journey she's about to take.