Chapter 6

Dottie looked over her shoulder as Angie danced her away from Peggy, whose eyes remained fixed on Dottie, even from across the room.

"Angie, what was so important that you had to cut in?"

"You looked like you could use a save. That dance seemed a little too intense for the public eye. Besides, making my sister mad is a surprisingly fun pastime."

"Angie, I can rescue myself. And I'm not an object you can use to rile Peggy up."

"Look, I don't know what's going on between you two, but whatever it is, it doesn't look fun. And adult relationships should always be fun." Angie spun her around, then dipped her suddenly! Dottie laughed at the ridiculousness of the situation. "See? You're having more fun already, and Peggy knows it."

Dottie resisted the urge to glance back even though she could feel the heat of Peggy's intense gaze on her.

After a few more songs, everyone gathered around for Peggy and Whitney's toast.

"Thanks for coming to our fabulous party. This night is a dream come true for me. Peggy is a dream come true for me." Whitney lifted her champagne flute in Peggy's direction, fluttering her eyelashes.

Dottie scoffed under her breath to Angie. "Is she for real right now?"

"Oh, yeah. This is serious business for Whitney. She even hired a ghostwriter for her toast."

"A ghostwriter? She should've just hired me. I could've written this speech in my sleep."

"Could you?" Angie had an unreadable expression on her face and Dottie avoided meeting her gaze.

"Peggy and I have only been dating for...." Whitney quickly glanced at her notes. "....about eight months, but we've been the best of friends for much longer."

"I swear, she has 'I love Peggy' written down too. Imagine what we could've tricked her into saying if we'd swapped out her cards." Angie joked.

"I'm picturing it right now." Dottie chuckled.

As Whitney droned on, Angie continued to provide Dottie with whispered commentary. Dottie had to fight the urge to giggle and ruin the toast the whole time. And, eventually....

"Peggy, would you like to say a few words?" Whitney asked. Dottie's eyes trailed after Peggy as she joined her, dropping a kiss on her cheek.

"Thank you, Whitney. And thank you so much to all of you for joining us as we celebrate our engagement."

"I think she means 'arrangement'." Angie whispered.

"Angie, I don't want to make fun of Peggy, okay? It's not.... it's not the same as Whitney."

"Cheer up, Dot. The torture is almost over."

"As you all know, I lost my husband about five years ago.... and for a long time, I didn't think I would ever meet someone else who made me feel the way he did." Peggy said and her eyes locked with Dottie's. "But now.... I feel as if I've gotten a second chance at happiness. I finally met someone who gets me. Someone I can't stop thinking about. Someone who lights up the whole room with her passion."

"Oh, I love you too!" Whitney said.

"'Passion' is one word to describe Whitney.... but not the one I'd use." Angie remarked.

"....Right." Dottie whispered, being the only audience member to know who Peggy was really talking about.

Whitney wrapped Peggy in a long hug that made the room spin around Dottie. The longer she stared at Whitney's perfectly manicured nails and dazzling ring, the dizzier she got.