33| breaking point

This chapter is dedicated to the lovely Aki_Mizuki

I am honestly so blessed to have someone like you supporting my book. Your votes and your comments make me smile, and i am so glad you're enjoying it.

────── ༻♛༺ ──────

We sped down the path of the Keep behind Aragorn, passing the countless bodies that littered the floor. Around us, men and elves picked off the remaining Uruks that had managed to invade the Keep.

One problem was solved, but we still had many more to go.

Arriving at the main gate, I assessed the situation.

Many of the Rohirrim crowded in the small space, desperately fighting against the Uruks who tried to break through the gate, which already sported a large gaping hole. I could see it losing integrity, giving way under the immense force of the Uruk army. Arrows flew from both sides, and all I could hear was the frenzied shouting of the men and the growls of the orcs.

It was chaos.

"Make way!" A voice cried.

Théoden emerged from the mass of fighting men, leaning against the stone wall as he winced.

"We cannot hold much longer!" Gamling cried as Aragorn and Gimli joined the fight against the Uruks

Before I could follow, Théoden clutched his shoulder in pain, and I noticed a puncture wound on his right shoulder. I stopped him as he tried to pick up his sword again.

"Wait, my lord, I can heal your wound."

I hovered my hand over his shoulder, not waiting for his reply. "Trust me."

I felt the familiar warmth in my palms. Within a few seconds, the wound disappeared as quickly as it had come.

Before the King could reply, there was a loud creak as the gate shuddered, pieces of wood splintering off from the top, the gate almost giving way entirely to the onslaught of orcs.

It was at a breaking point, and so were we.

"How long do you need!" Aragorn yelled from amidst the frenzy of battle.

"As long as you can give me!" Théoden shouted back, taking his sword from Gamling.

Aragorn nodded in reply before gesturing to Gimli and myself. As I turned to follow, my eyes met Aldion's as he fought alongside the men in a simple unspoken message.

Stay safe.

He seemed to acknowledge my message with a nod of his head before sinking his teeth into a Uruk. Pushing my worries for his safety aside, I followed after Aragorn and Gimli.

We turned into a side passage, the sounds of battle continuing to rage on behind us. At the end of the passage was a stone door. Quietly, Aragorn pushed it open.

We exited the Keep, Aragorn first, followed by Gimli and myself, our backs pressed against the stone wall. Beneath our feet was a narrow stone ledge that curved to the right.

Carefully, Aragorn peered around the corner.

"Oh come on, we can take them!" Gimli urged.

There was a hint of amusement in Aragorn's voice.

"It's a long way."

Gimli looked around the corner. There were a few moments of hesitation, as if the dwarf was debating with himself in his mind.