Confidante

Darling

Scream, darling, shout aloud. It will feel better this way. Yell into the void of my heart and watch as the sun emerges, whole, to warm you with its rays.

Cry, my darling, let sobs rack your body. You will feel better after the tears have flowed down your cheeks. Collect your tears in a jar and water your garden with them, for out of tragedy must come joy. Out of death comes life, and so happiness will reach you.

Bleed, my darling, if you must, for the world had hurt you in ways that I cannot know. Let the rivers run red and the wolves that howl at the moon sense your pain. Let the civilizations that have hurt your soul pay for what they did with a flood of your bleeding heart. Let the demons bow down to you for you have given them more pain than their master.

Break, my darling, like a pane of glass. Let the world see how you have broken. Break, so that your enemies approach you, only to be cut on the remains of when you cared. Break, in a furious storm, hair wild and eyes shut, as rain thunders across the country.

Fall apart, my dear darling, so that I may pick you up. You have been so strong, for so long, so fall apart. Fall to the ground so that I may gather your body and hold you in my arms, whispering sweet nothings in your ear. Fall, because your mask is gone and your wall crumbled. I can see you clearly, darling, I can see how they have hurt you, how you'll never be completely whole again. So fall apart, that I may show you that you will be okay.

You may scream, cry, break my heart. Feel free to bleed, to whimper, to fall apart.
But darling, please, at the end of your falling,
Just don't answer your higher calling.

Trust me, I beg you, trust me enough to let me step over your shattered glass to touch your arm and hold you tight enough to guard you. Let me deal with your angry god, let me fight off the reapers that come for your soul. Trust me enough to protect you from yourself, trust me enough to let me save you.

________________

Friend, Don't Trust Me.

Confide in me, if you trust my ways, but beware my mind. My heart may wish you no harm, but my mind revels in dark places, and is under no such obligation. I cannot trade your trust for my health.

We both have secrets, I'll admit. Your secrets are dark, a deep obsidian. Mine are hidden, disguised. I have painted them a pale lilac, to throw off those that seek them. My secrets have hidden details that even God would do well to avoid. I cannot trade a secret for a secret.

You smile in the sun and ask me if I feel it. Don't trust my answer, however real it may seem. I lost my touch centuries ago, numb to heat and to pain. I may tell you that the sunlight is amazing, but don't trust me. I don't. The fabric of my reality is woven of lies and deciet, I cannot trade my ways for a friend.

I give you a gift and your eyes sparkle like diamonds. You put on the necklace, eager to see how it looks in the mirror, not seeing the magic. I glamored it, it is not a petty neck-jewel. It is a token, an amulet to keep you safe. Safe from my enemies, safe from me. I urge you never to take it off, and you promise. I cannot risk your life.

I am not human, though you suspect that already. I look too young for my years. My hair to dark, my eyes just a shade too red. My nails are sharp and my skin pale, and you noticed. Such a smart human, which is why I chose you to befriend. Now, you are old and you beg me for death. I refuse, for my amulet keeps you safe.

Before I can stop you, you rip it off with your wrinkled hands, and plead to be taken. Your protection is gone, now, and I can only comply. I suppose this is why I should never have friends above land, since you suffer of short lifespans. I cannot fathom why you don't complain.

Friend, don't trust me. I am, after all, the devil, and you have just reached my palace. I cannot favor anyone, even someone as special as you.