Chapter 8

"Arkin!" Adelia yelled.

Arkin was running away with a bunch of crepes on his plate.

"Arkin! It's not gonna be enough for every- oh who am I kidding, he won't listen," Adelia gave up trying to subdue Arkin. Last time, they made pancakes, Arkin said it was the best creation, but seeing how he's currently acting, his opinion might have changed.

She sighed and shook her head at Arkin.

"Daria, can you guys make the rest? I'm sure everyone else would want a taste," Adelia asked. "I need some for guests that will be arriving soon as well."

"Of course Lady Adelia," Daria answered. "All you needed to do was give us the recipe and we'll do the rest. You didn't have to do this yourself," Daria said and the kitchen staff agreed.

Adelia smiled. "Doing this myself and spending time with you guys are fun," Adelia replied. "Besides, showing you how to make them firsthand is better."

Daria looked at Adelia fondly. She had already thought of Adelia as her own. "Of course," she replied warmly. "Leave it to us."

Adelia's smile brightened. "Thank you!" she thanked them in high spirit. "You're the best!" she exclaimed.

Daria laughed. This is child was too precious for her now. She never really knew the young lady of the house, as kitchen staff don't really interact or meet with the masters of the house. This couple of weeks has been a blessing to her. She had the chance to meet, spend time with and get to know the young lady, and before she knew it, the young lady had become someone she cared for deeply. She smiled brightly as she watched Adelia skipping after Arkin.

When Arkin was back in Adelia's line of sight, she started calling for him.

"Arkin!" she called out. "Stop running!" Adelia panted, catching her breath. When Arkin didn't show any signs of stopping, Adelia huffed. "Arkin stop! This is an order!" she announced, exasperated.

In an instant, Arkin automatically stopped and slowly turned around like a robot that hasn't been oiled in ages. If someone were to listen intently, they could here his joints squeaking.

"Yes, young lady," Arkin said defeatedly.

Adelia looked at him dumbfoundedly. "Really Arkin? Must it be an order for you to listen to me?" she asked, clearly irritated.

Arkin shrugged. "If it isn't an order, why should I listen?" he answered in a matter of fact tone.

"You really-" Adelia stopped her sentence and sighed. She shook her head. "You know? Forget it," Adelia waved her hand dismissively. "Nora will be here soon, finish your crepes fast," she said.

This one was clearly Adelia's lost this time. That's one loss and... how many times has Arkin lost to Adelia? Somehow, Arkin would lose without Adelia even realizing such as the time he pulled a trick on Adelia being all formal, but in the end, Adelia won. Arkin had loss one too many times that no one knows the count anymore.

After a while, the arrival of Nora was announced. As per usual, the guest was brought to the day room. Sitting in the room with Nora were two men. Adelia thought one of the man was probably Winston. She was expecting this.

"Good afternoon miss Nora," Adelia greeted with a smile on her face. She noticed tea were already served.

Nora returned the smile and greeted Adelia as Adelia looked at the other two guests.

"If you don't mind me asking, who are they?" Adelia asked Nora, referring to the two men accompanying her.

"Oh! That's right," Nora exclaimed. "Forgive my rudeness, Lady Adelia," she apologized. "They are my associates, Winston and Marcus," Nora introduced.