Toph

we went to the beifong estate and jumped over the gate as quietly as we could.

we looked out from behind a bush - only to be thrown in the air by the ground and land in the bushes.

'what are you doing here, twinkle toes?' asked the blind bandit.

'how did you know it was me?' asked aang, still in the bush.

'don't answer to twinkle toes! it's not manly!' whined sokka

'you're the one whose bag matches his belt.' katara said, smirking.

'how did you find me?' asked the girl.

'well, a crazy king told me i had to find an earthbender who listens to the earth. and then i had a vision in a magic swamp and...' began aang, airbending out of the bush.

'what aang is trying to say is, he's the avatar, and if he doesn't master earthbending soon he won't be able to defeat the fire lord.' explained katara.

'not my problem. now get out of here or i'll call the guards.'

'look, we all have to do our part to win this war. and yours is to teach aang earthbending.' said sokka

'guards! guards, help!' cried the girl.

we jumped back over the fence and watched as the guards took her back to her house.

'that was way too close!' said sokka, dusting himself off.

'yeah, but it may have been just what we needed.' smiled aang

'what do you mean?' asked katara, stepping forwards.

aang told us how he'd decided to go to the beifong house, and try to get toph to join us.

spirits.

---

'the beifongs will see you now' said the servant who'd greeted us.

we walked into their dining room and sat down.

'blow on it. it's too hot for her.' said lao, tophs dad.

'allow me.' said aang, sending a mini
tornado to cool tophs rice.

'avatar aang, it's an honor to have you visit us.' said mrs beifong.

'in your opinion, how much longer do you think the war will last?' asked mr beifong.

'i'd like to defeat the fire lord by the end of summer,' said aang, looking over at toph, 'but i can't do that without finding an earthbending teacher first.'

'well, master yu is the finest teacher in the land. he's been teaching toph since she was little.' said mr bei fong.

'then she must be a great earthbender, probably good enough to teach someone else.'

just then, aang jumped up out of his seat, and it felt like a rock hit my foot.

'ow' i muttered, trying to hold my breath so i didnt shout.

'toph is still learning the basics.' said master yu.

'yes, and sadly because of her blindness, i don't think she will ever become a true master.' said me beifong.

me and my friends shared nervous looks.

'oh, i'm sure she's better than you think she is.' grinned aang

i felt my head hit something as aang fell into his bowl.

and when i looked up, his bowl was stuck to his face.