part 5 | cleaning duty

Hajime and Nagito walked with you into the kitchen. Once you got there, Nagito soaked a cloth under cold water, wrung the water out and gently took it to you face. 

Hajime leant against a counter awkwardly and watched as Nagito cleaned the stains of your face and neck. Nagito's hand hovered in the air for a moment, as though he wanted to do something.

"Do you mind?" 

"No, go for it,"

His icy hand cupped your cheek, tenderly tilting your head to the side, trying to get a better view of your injury. Your cheeks felt hot, and your heart was beating faster than usual.

Your eyes fell on Hajime, and he seemed uncomfortable, looking away and avoiding eye contact.

"That's better," Nagito smiled, which brought your attention back to him.

"Thank you. Sorry about your shirt by the way," You chuckled, grasping your shirt and observing the bloody stains.

"Ah, don't worry about it, I have plenty more." Nagito reassured, putting his hands up in front of him.

"Let's go back to the others now, c'mon Hajime." 

You took Hajime's hand, making him jump slightly, taking him back to everyone else, Nagito following closely behind.

"Well, who's gonna clean the place?" Chiaki asked, not looking up from her game.

"I didn't think about that. Someone must clean it, since it hasn't been used for a while, and most likely does not have appropriate decorations for a party. Someone step up."

No one said anything, not wanting to clean in their own spare time. Hiyoko finally butted in, but not to clean.

"Why don't you do it ham-hands? You're the one organizing this whole party!" She exclaimed, sticking her nose in the air.

"That's absurd, there is no way-"

"No need to argue!" Nagito butted into the small argument, a pot of lollipop sticks in his hand.

"I've prepared some lollipop sticks, we'll all take one, whoever manages to get the red one, has to clean."

One by one, everyone took out a lollipop stick, hoping that they wouldn't pull out a red one. You pulled one out hesitantly, it was red, and so was Nagito's. 

Conveniently, you both had to have a red one.

"That was not according to plan, I'm sure I only put one red stick in. Oh, well! Looks like you're cleaning with me Y/N."

"Bad luck, I guess." You mumbled, following Nagito out of the restaurant. You both walked out together, with two totally different attitudes, Nagito happy and well, you were the complete opposite.

"Fuck's sake, cleaning? Really..." You groaned, kicking a small stone in annoyance. You two carried on walking for a while, not speaking just observing the island.

"Have you taken a liking to anyone yet?" Nagito asked, breaking the silence. You laughed, looking up at the clear sky.

"What way do you mean?" You replied, looking up/down at him.

"Either I'm just curious."

"To be honest Kazuichi is cool to hang with, and Ibuki seems fun. Then there's Hajime, he's really nice, and don't tell anyone, but he's kinda cute."

For a moment, Nagito's face dropped, but he quickly changed back to his normal demeanour, thinking you didn't notice.

"And you too. You're nice, and pretty."