3-the bittersweet science

When you woke up, Spencer's head was resting on your chest. You were cuddled together, which meant he must not have moved much since falling asleep. You stared at him for a minute, examining his soft skin and the way waves of his hair fell perfectly on his face. He looked like an angel sleeping so peacefully right next to you. Even though you were thinking about how cute he looked, you knew sleeping all cuddled up wasn't romantic.

He was scared and having flashbacks, and you tried to comfort him even though you wished there was more you could do. You were being a friend when he needed one. You would've done that for anyone on the team, right?

You slid into your slippers and unzipped the tent as quietly as possible, trying to not wake up Spencer. When you stepped outside you saw Rossi, Hotch, and Morgan drinking coffee around the table. JJ was bent down next to them tying her running shoes. Other than Rossi, they all were dressed like they were about to workout.

"Sleep well y/n?" Rossi asked as you walked over to them.

"About as good as you can when you're camping" you replied with a smile on your face. "Are you guys going somewhere?"

"The three of us are going running on a trail around here," JJ said motioning to Morgan and Hotch. "You should come with us! We aren't leaving for a couple more minutes."

You agreed to go and grabbed an apple from the food box after Rossi said you shouldn't exercise on an empty stomach.

You headed back to the tent and realized Spencer was still sleeping in the tent.  You knew he had a rough night, it would be unfair to wake him up early and ask him to step outside just so you could change. You decided the chances of him waking up while you were getting dressed were fairly low, you would just have to be quick. You opened your bag and pulled out a black sports bra, nike pros, and running shoes. You faced away from Reid while changing, just in case. Then you threw in the mini silver hoop earrings you always wore. Finally, you pulled your hair into a low ponytail and headed back out.

You had been in such a rush you hadn't even noticed when Spencer woke up.

-

You had been jogging for about 30 minutes, JJ and Derek next to each other, you and Hotch just a few steps behind. Hotch needed water, so you stopped with him at a water fountain on the trail. JJ and Morgan hadn't noticed, so they kept running and had a small lead.

About 5 minutes after the stop for water, you let out a yelp and squatted down. Hotch noticed, but the other two were too far ahead to hear it.

"Y/l/n! What happened, are you alright?" Hotch said as he crouched down next to you.

"There's...there's something sharp in my foot. I think it went through my shoe." You let out with a wince as Hotch put his hand on your shoulder to keep you steady.

"Let me take a look."

You sat down on the dirt path as he gently grabbed your foot. He couldn't see anything on the bottom of your shoe, so he helped take it off with as little pain as possible. When your foot was bare, he saw a little bit of bleeding around a huge sharp splinter.

"Luckily it's just a splinter, but it's pretty big. We should be able to take care of it back at the campsite. Can you walk?"

You picked up the shoe you had taken off and used his arm for balance as you both slowly stood up, making sure to put all your weight on your good foot. He wrapped his arm under your shoulder to try and help you walk. After a minute of limping and hardly moving at all, Hotch realized it would take over an hour to get back this way.

"Here, let me carry you." He said with a straight face reaching one arm behind your back and the other beneath your knees.

"Hotch we ran a good distance, are you sure you'll be okay carrying me?"

He nodded his head as you pushed your feet off the ground and he lifted you up. You wrapped your arms around his neck for support, one shoe still in your hand.

~

Spencer hadn't meant to look at her ass, he really hadn't. He couldn't control when he woke up. He first opened his eyes when y/n started taking off the sweatpants she slept in. He wasn't completely awake, he hardly even realized what was happening. She was facing away from him so she had no idea he was awake, and if she did it probably would make this trip a lot more awkward. Reid closed his eyes again as she pulled on a pair of athletic shorts.

He felt...guilty. She was so nice to him last night and this was how he repaid her? He tried to shake it off, it was an accident and he had no idea she would be changing when he woke up.

~

Spencer now sat reading and sipping coffee at the table in the center of the campsite. Emily, Penelope, and Rossi had left for a walk a few minutes ago so he was alone at the site. He looked up for a second, saw Hotch carrying y/n, and ran over to them.

"What happened? Y/n, are you okay?" Spencer asked and you nodded your head.

"Just a splinter" You tried to smile at him despite the pain.

"Reid, get me the first aid kit from the car so I can get this out" Hotch ordered as he set you down on the bench of the table.

-

After pulling the splinter, cleaning up, and bandaging your foot Hotch texted JJ to tell her you headed back in case they were looking for you two. Both groups returned a couple minutes apart, and you had to explain twice that you were completely fine and it was just a splinter. Since you had gotten back to the campsite though, Hotch seemed a bit on edge.

"Everything okay man?" Morgan asked as he walked over to Hotch who was standing a few feet away from the group, staring at y/n.

"I just don't like to see anyone on my team get hurt."

-

After lunch, everyone laid low and hung out around the campsite. Right before sunset, Garcia convinced the team to take a 10 minute walk to a lookout point another camper had suggested to her.

"I know you hurt your foot y/n, but maybe someone could carry you or at least help you walk?" Penelope said, hoping you would still come.

"If I have to I'll have someone help but don't worry Penny I wouldn't go if I thought I couldn't do it. 10 minutes isn't too far."

When you started the walk over, you quickly fell to the back of the group. You were limping because your foot was still sore, but you really were alright. Reid slowed down his pace and soon he was walking right next to you.

"It's okay to ask for help you know."

You rolled your eyes, "Really I'm fine Spence, I would've stayed back if I didn't think I was."

"Look just let me help you for a minute and tell me if you want me to stop." He reached his arm around your back and under your arm to help support you as you walked. As much as you hated to admit it, your foot did feel better with his help. It was cute to see Reid wanting to help you.

Hotch turned around to see if you had fallen behind, and when he did he saw you and Spencer behind everyone else. He had his arm all over you and you two were looking at each other, smiling and laughing. Reid was a good kid, and Hotch knew that. So why did the image of you together make him so angry?