23-lessons learned

The morning after your breakups you woke up early and called an uber. Despite your head pounding from the excessive drinking, you went to Emily's, got together everything you had from staying with her, and went back to your place.

One of the worst parts of the situation was that you couldn't tell anyone about it. Emily, JJ, and Penelope were your closest friends and you had already been lying to them about who you were seeing. There was no way for you to lie about this. If you wanted them to know any part of it you would have to tell them everything and that wasn't going to happen.

When you got home you peeled off your dress, put on an oversized tshirt, then threw yourself onto your bed. You stayed still lying there on your stomach, head resting on your arms. You stared at the wall across from you, slowly blinking and feeling the minutes tick by. Not only were you going through two breakups, you were also extremely hungover. When you finally dozed off you dreamt of falling asleep in Hotch's arms and Spencer reading you a book with your head in his lap. Even in your dreams you couldn't escape your memories with them.

When you opened your eyes the clock read 2:27pm. Eventually you gained enough energy to stand up and walk into your bathroom. Glancing at the mirror above the sink you saw your reflection. You looked almost as shitty as you felt. Sighing, you walked over to the shower and turned the water on as hot as it could be without burning you. You tossed the tshirt onto the floor then felt the warm water fall over your body as you moved under the showerhead.

Tilting your head back so the water rushed all over your face, you felt your eyes begin to sting. You squeezed them shut in hopes it would stop you from crying. Through closed eyes, tears still dripped down your cheeks.

-

It was Sunday now, two nights after going to Rossi's house. The time between now and then was all blurred together, crying and sleeping were pretty much all you did. The moments you were awake for, questions rushed through your head.

What are they doing now? Are they as upset as I am? What about Jack, is there any way for us to still have a good relationship? How did this manage to get so messed up? Was it really that bad of an idea? How am I going to act normal at work again?

Work. You had work tomorrow. There was no way you'd be able to completely pull it together before then. You worked with profilers, they would question you until you told them the truth. You imagined how uncomfortable it would be for them to interrogate you while Spencer and Hotch were right there, listening to whatever lie you came up with.

After making dinner, you sat down on the couch to find something to watch. Flicking through channels on tv you came across the same crime show that Spencer put on the other day. You left it on, finding it comforting that maybe he was watching it too.

You cleaned up then headed to your room for bed even though it was only 8:30pm. Your anxiety was high thinking about going to work tomorrow so you knew falling asleep would be a challenge. Climbing under the covers, you stared up at your ceiling. You tossed and turned trying to get comfortable for what felt like forever.

9:04pm

It had only been 30 minutes but you felt restless just lying there. Just as you were about to shut your eyes again, your phone screen lit up.

S: Are you awake?

Yes

S: Can I call you?

I guess

The last thing you wanted was for him to call you. You knew hearing his voice would make you fall apart all over again. But you also knew you would be hearing it tomorrow at work whether you wanted to or not, so you might as well get it out of the way now. Your phone buzzed as his name filled the screen and you answered it. There were a few seconds of silence before he spoke.