12-a shade of gray

It was only 8:30pm when you stood by the sink helping Hotch wash dishes from dinner, and you were exhausted. You were always sleepy after sitting at your desk all day being bored by paperwork, but you were especially tired today because of what happened in Hotch's office earlier.

He turned off the sink while you dried the last plate, then walked behind you and rested his head on your shoulder while his hands clasped in front of your body around your waist. You set the plate on the counter and rested your hands on top of his. He gently started swaying around the kitchen while humming in your ear. You shut your eyes and smiled, wanting to remember how perfect this moment was.

You heard small footsteps and before you knew it, Jack was standing in the kitchen wearing his pajamas. "Daddy, will you come tuck me in?"

Hotch let go of your waist and replied, "Sure buddy, I'll be up in a minute. Is there someone else you want to say goodnight to?"

You bent down as he ran over and pulled you into a tight hug, "Goodnight y/n!" You gave him a kiss on the cheek before he ran back up to his room.

"I'll be back in a few minutes, do you want to pick the movie tonight?"

"Sure," you entered the living room and plopped down on the couch while Hotch went upstairs. When he came back down he was no longer in his work clothes, now wearing a gray tshirt and blue checkered pajama pants. He sat down next to you and placed one of his sleep tshirts and a pair of boxers in your lap.

"Even if you don't sleepover I figured you'd want to be more comfortable."

You thanked him and grabbed the clothes before heading to the bathroom to get out of your work attire. As you were changing, you thought about how different things were now compared to the last time you spent the night. You had borrowed Hotch's clothes before on nights when Jack begged you to stay over, but now that you were dating him it wasn't the same. Would Hotch expect you to sleep in his bed with him now instead of the couch like you usually did? You brushed away your concerns, telling yourself you'd figure it out as you went along.

When you went back out you cuddled up next to him and he wrapped his arm around you as the movie started. Neither of you talked much until about 30 minutes in, "I like this you know. Having you here with me and Jack."

You had been there plenty of times with him and Jack in the past, but you knew what he meant. You tilted your head up to him and smiled, "I like this too." He leaned down and kissed the top of your head before you both went back to watching the movie.

When you woke up, the sun was shining through the windows and your head was still lying on Hotch's chest. You realized you both must have fallen asleep during the movie. As you stirred, he tightened his arms around you before opening his eyes, "Morning" he yawned.

"Good morning sleepy," you giggled as you stood up to go start breakfast.

-

The next day of work was slow and while Hotch had been hanging around you more, you noticed Reid wasn't talking to you at all. Just as you were packing up your things to go home for the day, someone said your name.

"Y/n." You were excited to hear Spencer's voice and hoped he would explain why he was being so weird lately. He checked the room to make sure nobody else on the team was around, "Do you want to come over to my place? We can order food or something, we haven't talked in a while."

"Yeah I'd love that, let me just grab my things."

-

When you walked into Spencer's apartment, you set your things down and he grabbed the takeout menus from the counter. You agreed on getting chinese and before you knew it, the delivery man was at the door. He laid out a blanket on his living room floor so that you could have a "picnic". When you two left the office, everything felt normal again. As you sat there eating, you couldn't help but wonder if he was going to explain his behavior over the past few days.