29-broken mirror

The black SUV came to a screeching halt and you, Hotch, JJ, and Morgan hopped out. Seconds after you, a second car pulled up which Emily, Rossi, and Spencer stepped out of. Behind them were two police cars. Everyone rushed to put on their vests while Hotch issued orders.

"Reid, you go in through the front and try to talk him down. His hatred is towards the mothers and women in general, you'll be the least threatening to him. Morgan you follow him while Prentiss, Dave, and I get the back."

You waited for him to tell you where to go, but nothing. JJ sprained her ankle, making her unfit to go in but there was no excuse to have you waiting around outside. Not to mention you hated the idea of Spencer being the one to face the unsub.

Everyone looked between you and Hotch, seeming confused. "What about me?"

He glanced over to the street where a news van was driving towards you. "You and JJ deal with the press."

Was he serious?

"Hotch what's wrong with you, when have I ever 'dealt with the press'?"

"Y/l/n, there's a family inside that house with a man who is about to kill them. Is this really the time to question how I do my job?"

You responded through gritted teeth, "No sir."

Spencer gave you a sympathetic look and as he started to walk in the direction of the house you grabbed his hand. You pulled him down to kiss his cheek as fast as you could. "Be safe in there. Please."

"I will." He rubbed his thumb over yours before returning to his previous path to the house.

After choosing this case with Penelope and Emily four days ago, the team flew to Louisiana. Hotch met you all there one day in and you could tell something was off with him. It killed you, but you didn't ask about it.

Based on the way he just treated you though, you were wondering if it had to do with you and Spencer. This was your first case together as an actual couple and everything felt normal until now. It  felt like you were sending the person you loved into a trap to get killed.

You bit your nails and paced back and forth in small circles.

JJ nodded her head towards the reporter stepping out of the news van, "Hey, I'll deal with them. He's going to be fine, don't worry." She gave you a reassuring nod and went to deal with the media.

-

10 minutes of radio silence went by.

And then, bang. A single shot was fired.

Your heart raced and every horrible scenario filled your head. The worst part though was that you worried about Hotch, then Spencer. It all happened in a matter of seconds, but still you wondered why your boyfriend wouldn't be the first person you'd worry about.

You let out a sigh when you saw Spencer and Hotch walk out safely, along with the family and the rest of the team. Spencer walked over and you rested your head on his shoulder. "I'm glad you're alright." In response he leaned down and gave you a small kiss.

"Y/l/n, we need to talk." Hotch's voice brought your attention to him and you nodded your head. The two of you walked over to one of the cars where you leaned against the trunk. He stood with his arms crossed in front of you. "The way you acted was completely unacceptable. I don't know what made you think acting like that would be tolerated, but it won't happen again. Understood?"

Your anger from earlier had dissipated and you were just glad to know he wasn't hurt. "Understood, sir."

"Good."

Before he could walk away, you placed your hand on his shoulder. "Hotch...I'm glad you're okay."

His face softened for a moment before returning to its usual expression. "Right, well, uh we should get back." He motioned towards the rest of the team and you nodded.

-

1 month later

"Spencer it's my job too! What did you expect to happen when we started dating?"

"I don't know y/n! The only thing I do know is that I need you to be safe."

"Well you're going to have to start trusting me the way I trust you." You had been walking around your hotel room, arguing with him for at least the past ten minutes.

It was 10pm and the jet landed outside of Jefferson County, West Virginia no more than an hour ago. The case of two missing men here a month ago took priority now as they were found dead in a nearby river. Not to mention there was also another man missing.

Your argument had nothing to do with this case though. Spencer was mad because of what happened during the team's last case. There had only been one between Louisiana and this. And during that one, Hotch happened to send you in first.

Strategically, it made sense due to the unsub's M.O., but Spencer didn't like it very much. He tried arguing with Hotch about it, almost the way you had on the previous case, but he was more aggressive. At first you weren't bothered because he was just being protective, the same way you had felt before. But the more you thought about his words, the less it sounded like he believed in your capabilities.

Things had been a little tense since then because you tried bringing up the topic at least twice and he ignored it. Now that you were stuck in a hotel room together he couldn't escape it.

"I do trust you."

"Start acting like it then. I heard the way you were talking about me to Hotch. It wasn't just wanting to protect me, you didn't think I'd be able to do it as good as someone else could."

"That's not true."

"I was a profiler before we started dating, Spencer. I was perfectly capable of doing my job then and I'm capable of doing it now too." You sat down on the queen sized bed and put your head in your palms.

"How many times do I have to say it? I trust you, I just don't want you to get hurt."

"I know that, but what do you want me to do? Our jobs aren't exactly safe so we're just going to have to live with the risks."

He stood in front of you now, voice barely above a whisper. "I don't know if I can do that, y/n."

Your voice cracked when you spoke, "Wh-what did you expect to happen when we started dating, did you want me to quit?"

"No I just-I don't know."

"Well Spencer, I hope you can understand that I'm not quitting my job just to make you more comfortable. I would do a lot of things for you, but I can't give up my career. I get nervous about you too but I just have to believe you'll be alright."

He avoided looking at you, "I don't know if I can live with that."

Your eyes stung as they began to fill with tears, "What are you saying Spence?"

"Maybe, maybe we just need a break. We can take some time to think about this. Separately."

You stood up from the bed and walked over to grab your suitcase. "Fine. Whatever you want Dr.Reid."

He reached out to grab your arm but you swatted it away. "Y/n, don't do that-"

"Stop. You're not my boyfriend anymore so I'm gonna go sleep in Emily or JJ's room."

"All I said was a break because I think it would be good for us. It's late, I'll sleep on the couch if you want, you don't have to bother them."

Despite what he said, you continued to the door and let it slam shut behind you.