22-cold comfort

"Y/n?"

Your eyes shot to the door at the sound of Spencer's voice. Your smile fell and your eyes widened. He stepped outside, pulling the door shut. "What are you doing in the pool by yourse-" He stopped talking as Hotch's head resurfaced above the water.

When he caught his breath he immediately saw Reid but kept his arms wrapped around your waist. Clearly still drunk, he rested his head on your shoulder and asked, "What are you doing here?"

Standing with his hands in his pockets, through gritted teeth he replied "I was just leaving."

You had been completely frozen since he stepped outside, but you knew you couldn't let him leave like this. "Spence wait, don't go." With everything still spinning around you, it was a struggle to swim to the edge of the pool.

He watched you slowly climb out completely soaking wet, Hotch following behind you. "I should've realized there was no reason for me to come", he looked at the ground while barely speaking above a whisper.

You stepped closer to him, "I'm sorry Spencer, please don't be mad. I told you I wanted you here." You felt so bad about him seeing you with Hotch you had completely forgotten about how irritated you had been with him lately. "Wait a second, what the fuck! I am not the one who should be apologizing." All the emotions since he left you in the hospital came rushing back. "What the hell is wrong with you? I understand needing time, but you could've at least answered one of my calls. Or sent me one text. You didn't have to be a dick about it."

He definitely wasn't expecting that, you read the confusion on his face. "I know I fucked up okay," he was raising his voice now, "but it's not completely my fault." He walked closer so he was only a foot away from you, waving his hands in the air, "This whole idea was so stupid I can't believe you actually thought it would work."

Spencer never talked to you that way. You felt a lump forming in your throat with a shaky voice you responded, "Well you two agreed to it!" You gestured to him then turned and waved your hand at Hotch standing behind you.

"I only agreed because I knew it was the only way I'd have a chance with you!" His face was red and steam was coming out of his ears.

You could feel the tears start to fall down your cheeks. Maybe it was a shitty idea but that didn't make everything your fault. "Stop it Spencer you can't blame me!"

"Yeah well who should I blame for you getting pregnant and not knowing who the dad is!" Your anger dissipated and guilt rushed over your body. It was not your fault, you kept telling yourself. If that was true why did you feel so ashamed? Spencer's expression changed as soon as the words left his mouth, "Y/n no, I didn't mean that you know I didn-"

"That's enough." Hotch stepped forward and grabbed Reid's arm. "We're all at fault here but you have no right to talk to her that way."

"I was on birth control and I thought I-" You cried trying to explain yourself once again.

Spencer wrestled out of Aaron's grasp and rested his hand on your shoulder, "I know...I- I didn't mean that, it was completely out of line. I'm sorry."

Despite being indescribably mad at him, you dropped your head so that your cheek was resting on his hand. You sniffled, keeping your eyes shut. Being drunk threw your emotions all over the place, it was definitely not the best time for that argument.

Hotch glanced between the two of you, "Clearly we need to discuss this."

-

After Aaron grabbed towels for you to dry off the three of you sat around the fire pit that was still going. It was late summer but regardless, being wet at 2am made you freezing cold.

You stared into the fire hoping one of them would talk first. You thought about everything that had happened since that day on the plane when you proposed this idea. It was insane they both said yes. You thought of all the time you spent with both of them. Very unconventional to say the least, but you wouldn't trade it for the world. Despite being complicated, you had loved every second of it. But you knew all great things had to come to an end. You sighed, "We can't do this anymore, can we?" It was a question but you weren't asking them, you were telling them.

Hotch was resting his forearms on his legs and looked up at you, "No, we can't."

"I wanted it to work just as much as you did, but it's too much. Seeing you with someone else, even just knowing you're with someone other than me hurts." Spencer's voice was soft when he spoke.

"So that's it for all of us then?" You knew your original plan was to pick one of them, but that would be impossible. Not to mention you couldn't stand hurting one of them. Maybe the only fair way out was by yourself.

"I don't know y/n, that part's up to you." Aaron's voice pulled you out of your thoughts and both of them watched you.

"I- I can't just pick. It's not that easy."

"I don't expect you to, but I also can't play games anymore." Spencer gave you a tight lipped smile.

"You can think about it more. But I'm not going to wait forever, if I move on don't be surprised."

You nodded at Hotch and stared at your fingers as you fidgeted with them, "Of course." What were you expecting to hear? That they would both spend the rest of their lives chasing you? Still, the thought of either of them with someone else made your heart break. You finally realized that's how they felt this entire time.

Hotch stood up, "It's been a long night, we should all get some sleep."

You unwrapped yourself from the towel, "Goodnight", you tried to smile at them both. Entering the house again, you headed to the front room to grab a sweatshirt from your bag. Did you just get broken up with by two people at once? That was a first.

-

this made me sad to write lolol. i'm not gonna give anything away but this is NOT the end. also 28k views omg thank you guys so so much<3