eighteen ; timezones

eighteen ; ashton

  [12:06 a.m.]

from ella:

hey are you asleep? we need to talk.

[12:10 a.m.]

from ella:

can you explain this picture me?

[3:33 a.m.]

from ella:

I hate timezones

[5:37 a.m]

from ella:

please call me as soon as you see this, i will probably still be awake by then. I love youxx

[11:27 a.m.]

As soon as my eyes fluttered open, my first instinct had been for me to reach out to the empty side of my bed in search of my phone. This took longer than expected, causing me to groan as I continued to pat my bed.

After what felt like hours, I finally found my phone and brought it up to unlock it, my eyes were hit with the brightness and I squinted as I put my passcode in. I went straight to my texts, it had became habit to go straight to message Ella good morning every time I woke up, even if it was almost afternoon.

Just a few seconds ago I had been struggling to maintain my eyes open, but now I was fully awake. Confused, I read all of Ella's texts and felt as my heart began to beat faster as I opened the picture. What did she want to talk about?

Anger filled me as I saw the picture. A fake. That was, in fact me with a girl last night, but I had not been holding her that way. While out with the boys, fans had found us and asked for pictures and we had agreed. The interactions had been simple ones, with them asking for hugs and kisses on their cheeks. I had made sure to keep the hugs as innocent as possible, none of them looking like the one in the picture.

I called Ella after seeing the picture, but there was no answer. I hated timezones. Although she had said that she wouldn't be asleep, she probably didn't expect me to wake up so late. God, why had I overslept.

I made it my only priority to keep my phone near me the entirety of the time I waited for Ella to wake up. Every second that passed I was filled with more anger and sadness. Anger at the people that had edited the picture, and sadness as I thought about what Ella must be feeling. I thought about the fact that if I was in her place I would've felt horrible.

+

Three hours. Three hours is how long I had spent waiting for her call, still with no answer, and as every second passed I began to feel more impatient. I decided that maybe I should go on Twitter and try to fix things before Ella woke up because even though I hadn't done anything, the pictures had been done quite good and now fear filled me as I wondered if Ella would believe me.

What if she didn't believe me that they were edited? I had no proof. I couldn't lose her. I didn't want to lose her.

'a true fan would never edit a picture to make me look bad. just woke up to a fake picture of me, truly disappointed.'

I knew that the tweet was probably not the best idea because after that it would be more than obvious that I was in a relationship. Our fans edited pictures all the time so of course, if I was calling someone out, it must be for a special reason.

"Ella, please wake up," I whispered to myself, bringing the phone up to my forehead, lightly tapping it as my mind wondered to how Ella must've felt when she saw the picture.

Suddenly my thoughts were interrupted as my phone began to ring.

It was her.

"Ella, please tell me you don't believe the picture is real," I spoke into the phone right away, hoping for her to tell me she doesn't believe it.

"I—Ashton, I don't know," she spoke quietly, shattering my heart into a million pieces. She did believe the picture and I would not be able to prove to her my loyalty. I would lose her.

"Ella, please, you know me. I could never do anything to hurt you. I love you too much," I tried telling her, not finding words to make her believe me. What else could I say?

"I want to believe you, and part of me does, but I'm just so scared Ashton. I love you too much and that picture—that picture killed me," her voices cracked and I wished with all my being that I could be there. There was nothing more that I wanted than to be with her in this moment.

"I understand and I will find proof, trust me. I promise you, Ella, I would never do anything to lose you, I would not dare to jeopardize what we have for someone else."

"Oh, Ashton, I believe you. I spent yesterday thinking about everything and I just couldn't find a scenario in which you did such thing. There's just that small thought in the back of my head, but I think its just from the initial hurt and anger I felt at first. But now, talking to you, I just can't see you hurting me like that."

"You make me so happy, hearing you say that just proves how lucky I am to have you. But Ella, I still will find the actual picture. I want to prove to you it's not me—even though you trust me."

"I wish I could be with you right now," she said, letting out a sigh.

"One of your kisses would be amazing right now."

Ella and I stayed on the phone for almost an hour, until I forced her to go back to sleep since she kept yawning almost every minute, which I understood since she had only gotten 4 hours of sleep. After I hung up I went back to twitter with the purpose of doing research on that absurd picture.

I found the original account that posted it and decided to ask them who had sent the picture(using a fake fan account, of course—yes I had a secret fan account, shhhh). They gave me the username and I immediately went  to their account and what I found explained everything. The account was filled with hatred towards any girl that got near me or the boys, and especially a lot of hate towards Ella.

The owner of the account was also from the city we were currently in. Was this person the one in the picture? I read some of the tweets she made the day before and she had talked about how she was there with us.

I made my way to one of her tweets which was a video and there was a second that looked extremely familiar. That was it. I took a screenshot and sent it straight to Ella.

to ella:

look, here is the girl from the picture and my hands are definitely in a different position and we are not as close. our faces were also edited. side by side you can see the same people and even we are the same just heavily edited.

from ella:

I said I trusted you but I love you so much for doing the research, I can't wait to see you soon. I miss you.

to ella:

and I miss you more than I thought it was possible to miss someone

from ella:

don't say things like that through text! I wanna hear those things in your voice only!

to ella:

calling you asap!