XXII

Three days passed since Renjun killed that faerie. Three days and he was still woken up by nightmares in the middle of the night. Like usual, he almost jumped from his bed that night too, panting, his hands feeling the warm blood that was leaving her body. Renjun looked at his trembling palms. They were cold, but he felt the warm liquid on them. He wiped his seat away from his forehead and pushed the thick layer of blankets away from him. 

He had to get fresh air, but in his tiny bedroom, he couldn't, since there were no windows. He didn't even know what time it was, but because the candles were already cold, Renjun thought that it was way past 4 AM. 

Running a hand through his hair, Renjun unlocked the door and exited the dark and silent room. The hallway was dead silent, only his giant shadow dancing on a wall because of a burning torch. It looked creepy and because his thoughts were filled with the death scene, Renjun saw a murderer in that black shadow. 

The silver haired male started making his way out of that dark hallway. He ignored his dancing shadow the whole time, until he pushed the wooden door and stepped inside the main room. He flinched when he saw two figures at a table, talking to each other slowly. Renjun froze in spot when Jaehyun and Johnny stopped whispering and turned their heads in his direction. 

"Can't sleep?" The elf asked as he rested his chin in his palm. "Or nightmares because of what happened three days ago?" 

Renjun widened his eyes. How did he know when he never told anyone about the incident? 

A smirk formed Jaehyun's lips as he patted a chair next to where he was sitting. 

"I have eyes everywhere kid." The elf said and urged Renjun to sit down. His cold eyes were glowing in a red shade because of the burning candle from the middle of the table. "But I'm surprised. You fought till the end even if she was way stronger than you." 

Renjun looked away from the two. His hands were still trembling and he had to take a deep breath to calm himself down. 

"I-I d-didn't want..." 

"You were fighting for your life, it's understandable." Jaehyun stopped him with a wave from his hand. Renjun watched him as he took a sip from a golden goblet of wine before continuing. "It's gonna become less painful when you start killing more people or faeries or even beasts. It's always the worst when you kill your first victim." 

Warm tears started forming in his eyes. He felt so bad. 

"I killed my first faerie when I was ten." Jaehyun continued, his eyes looking straight into the dancing flame. "That's when I realized I won't be a normal boy." His eyes drifted away from the candle, right on Johnny, who was listening with his eyes half closed, as if the elf was telling them a fairy tale. "I almost killed him once." 

Johnny chuckled. 

"We almost killed each other many times. We can't even count them." 

"True." Jaehyun smiled then looked back at Renjun. "Did you keep on taking your medicine? You've been smaller lately." 

"I haven't eaten properly." Renjun mumbled while he rested his chin in both of his palm. The dancing flame captured his attention, almost hypnotizing him for some moments. "I couldn't." 

A sudden force hit his back which startled Renjun. He looked in his right, at Jaehyun, who was taking his fist away from him. 

"If you'll keep on crying over such small matters, then you're not suited for this kind of job." His smile was gone now, being replaced by the usual cold gaze. "Starting from tomorrow, you'll be busy and if I don't see results fast, I'll tell Lucas to send you back to the humans world. Maybe that place will be suitable for you." 

Human world. Renjun froze. He couldn't go back there, not when he finally started belonging in that magical world of elves and faeries. 

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Jeno exited the white mansion of his father at noon. The sun was shining above his head, warming the ground and the fresh grass from his garden. A warm gus of wind blew away some dry leaves, sign that the autumn was near. His hair was already in all places, which annoyed him, but he only sighed as he made his way to the golden gate that was separating the wide yard from the forest.

Some birds were singing in the trees and some fluffy bees were flying through the flowers. But despite the nice atmosphere, Jeno couldn't help but feel pressured. His eyes drifted away from the gate, on the spot next to the garden full of flowers his mom owned.

He felt a lump in his throat. Why would he burry that girl in his yard, so close to his mom's favorite place? Maybe because of the panic he felt that day, when he realized that one of his classmates was killed by a mortal.

"But Renjun just wanted to protect himself..." Jeno whispered while he stepped outside of the yard. He glanced behind one more time, hoping that the charms he made to cover up everything would help.

Walking in silence on the path that led him to the palace, Jeno kept on thinking about Renjun. He didn't see the silver haired male in three days already and he started thinking of paying him a visit because he was worried.

"He should be fine, after all, that girl started everything by spying on us."

Crack!!

Jeno froze in the middle of the path. He looked around, up through the thick branches of the trees and behind. His brows furrowed when he didn't see anyone there, but he was sure that someone was hiding into the shadows.

"If you wanna fight then come out." Jeno hissed and took out his silver sword. "I don't have the whole day asshole."

A chuckle filled his ears from all direction which confused him more. Where was this person? Who was this elf?

Suddenly, his sword flew away from his hand and someone hit him hard enough to make him fall onto the rough ground. Jeno groaned in pain when the attacker pinned him to the ground, not letting him move one inch.

"Do as I say and you live." The elf hissed in his ear and he suddenly pulled him up.

Jeno was turned around and when he met a masked face he sighed. He couldn't even see his attacker's face? Well that sucked.

"Good." The man added and the tilted his head.

Jeno frowned but when he realized that they weren't alone, he widened his eyes. Sadly for him, he realized to late as the second elf knocked him out from behind.