XXIV

"What!?" The King slammed his fists onto the table and threw away the blue parchment he received from the Queen of the Seas.  "Why would that bitch think one of us killed her daughter?"

From the golden chair he was sitting on, Jaemin watched as he quickly became red from the anger. A small smirk formed his lips as he looked at his dad. Stupid, he was so stupid, yet he took the crown. But it was better for him to think that no one from his kingdom killed that faerie,because if he would have found out that Renjun, who was also a mortal, killed her,Jaemin was sure Kun would kill him no matter what.

"Maybe she died from other reasons." Taeil, the general of the king's guard, tried to reassure Kun, but immediately failed because the king sent him a deadly glare. "Then let's think. Her daughter always came here to study and in the town from the valley, there are many criminals who would want her life."

No one replied. Jaemin kept on looking from his dad, to his brothers. They couldn't have known the secret could they? Suddenly, the young prince felt someone staring at him. He looked in his right, at the person next to him and rolled his eyes when he saw Lucas's smirk. The older prince made a small gesture with his hand, sign that told Jaemin to lean closer.

"What do you want to do?" Lucas whispered in his ear and his hot breath that tickled Jaemin's skin made the prince feel sick.

"What do you mean?" The blue haired elf whispered back while he kept on looking at Kun, who was now arguing with Doyoung and Taeil.

"Renjun." Jaemin widened his eyes before looking back at Lucas. "You think I wouldn't find out what he did? Come on little brother, how stupid do you think I am? He lives in my house after all."

Jaemin clenched his fists under the table as he kept the eye contact with the older elf. So he knew which made him an idiot of thinking that Lucas wouldn't find out. But again, the question he had the day Renjun showed up at the mansion came back. Why did he suddenly bring that mortal in their home?

"Why did you bring him at your house?" The young prince asked and turned his head away, to see what was going on at the wide table from the room in the main castle.

"I'll tell you when we're home." Lucas replied shortly and suddenly stood up. "Don't tell me you want to stay here." His hand patted his shoulder.

Of course not, Jaemin wanted to say, but he kept his mouth shut. When he also stood up, Kun looked at them and stopped shouting at Doyoung who was so close to attack his own father.

"Where do you think you're going?" Taeil barked from the other end of the room.

"Home." Lucas replied coldly and urged Jaemin to walk to the main door. "We'll try figure out who killed her precious daughter."

"This is not a joke Lucas." Kun hissed and pushed himself from the chair. "You know that she's capable of starting a whole war if it turns out that one of our people murdered her."

"I know, but we can make it that way so it won't be our fault." The older prince replied and ran a hand through his soft hair. "We can always blame others father."

Jaemin wanted to chuckle. So a war would be just a game to Lucas after all. Why would someone think of him as a great leader? The blue haired male looked up at him. What he saw, almost made him look away. Lucas wasn't a leader and he'll never be one. That elf who was his half brother, was just a normal elf who liked to play around.

"Let's go Jaemin." Lucas ordered and walked out of the room.

Jaemin bowed his head before exiting the room. He followed the older in silence, not daring to say anything about what only the two of them knew. Lucas could always betray Renjun's trust, who even made a blood oath before coming to their place, but in those moments, Jaemin made a promise to himself. No matter what, he'll protect that human.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

The two brothers entered the gates of Lucas's mansion.

"Stay here." His older brother told him when they entered one of the multiple rooms Lucas kept for guests. "I'll bring someone before we can talk."

Jaemin frowned but obeyed.  He sat down on a comfortable sofa and rested his elbow on it. His eyes then started looking from the walls to the decorations placed on them and on the furniture. He continued doing so, until he heard footsteps. Lucas was the first one to enter the room, followed by Renjun.

For some reason, the prince's heart skipped a bit when he saw his face. But then, he came back from his daydream when he saw Jeno.

"Why are you here?" Jaemin almost jumped from the sofa, his eyes widening before he looked at his brother. "What did you do to him?"

"Me? Nothing." Lucas placed his hand on his chest as if he just made a promise. "I know that your other friend was there when it happened, but i decided to send him a message through mt shadows. I didn't want to scare him like that."

Jaemin clenched his fists. Bastard, he thought and took a deep breath to calm himself down.

"We were called to the palace you see?" Lucas started after he found a comfortable spot to sit on. A goblet of magical wine appeared in his hand ans he took a small sip from it before putting it on the tea table made of gold. "The queen is mad now."

"Why would she be though? It's not like she was next to the throne." Jaemin mumbled and ran his hand through his blue hair.

"She wanted to make her your wife you idiot." After hearing that, Jaemin flinched. Lucas only chuckled before looking back at the two boys. "But that doesn't matter any more. What's important is to protect him." He pointed at Renjun who quickly looked away from him. "If they find out you killed them, not only you, but your brother as well will die."