1 - Acceptance

From behind the thick glass, Thomas looked at the boy laying unconscious on the operating table.

His beautiful brown eyes were closed, light breaths escaping through his nose. He seemed almost peaceful. Thomas longed to feel the smooth skin of the boy, blissfully unaware that he was going to be sent to his death. But instead, Thomas looked away and closed his eyes. This was essential to save the human population. He couldn't let some small (okay, humongously gigantic) crush of his to get in the way of everything. In his head, he repeated the quote he'd been forced to memorise. WICKED is good.

From behind him, he heard the chamber open and a body hauled into it. Then, he heard the sound of metal clanging against metal, and every hope inside him trickled away. He struggled to keep his tears from flowing out. Tears of hopelessness and tears of desperation... Sometimes he wondered, was this what the world had to resort to? Trapping teenagers inside a death chamber in the hopes of miraculously arriving at an impossible cure for the terrorising, deadly virus that has plagued humanity for years, just because an absent minded idiot couldn't keep his experiments to himself?

And the worst part was, the answer was yes. And he knew it.

Thomas closed his eyes as the clanging sounds of the metal crate travelled up and away from the room. Another poor boy being sent to his death... And not just any boy. Newt. His Newt.

The aching turned to a horrible numb emptiness as Thomas scurried back into the monitor room. He couldn't let them find out he'd sneaked out - he was supposed to be monitoring the subjects, boring or not.

Because, you know, everything was in the name of Science, and WICKED was good.

Yeah, sure.

A/N: I hope you like my first chapter! This is my first (published) fanfiction, so please be kind :) also please give me comments, ideas, anything!
Thank you for taking the time to read my story

(the last paragraph of the story was supposed to be kind of sarcastic btw) (I hope you realised that) (._.)