Chapter 12

"You've been dressing up the truth
I've been dressing up for you
Then you leave me in this room, this room
Pour a glass and bite my tongue
You say I'm the only one
If it's true, then why you running, you running?
Ooh-woah-oah
If you're really being honest
If you really want this (ooh-woah-oah)
Why you acting like a stranger
What's with your behavior? (Ooh-woah-oah)"

****

Allegra

"Okay, let's go over the routine one last time and then you're free to go," Angie - my dance teacher - shouts before running to the stereo to start the music.

The notes of Crying in the club start blubbering trough the speaker and Angie goes to stand in front of the big mirrors with her back to us.

"And five, six, seven, eight" She shouts before starting to move followed by us.

The routine is not long but full of differents quick moves that make my body ache but my soul feels lighter.

I love dancing, letting my body feel the music and move to the rhythm of it as I let out the stress accumulated during the week.

It always made me happy, since I was little - mum says I learned to dance before I learned how to actually walk.

I could have made a job out of it, I had more than one possibility but I didn't want to. I read books, speak with writers and correct drafts for living. Dancing is my hobby, my safe place.

By the time the routine is finished, I'm out of breath and covered in a layer of sweat. Angie turns around and claps her hands at us, as we do the same before giving us instruction for next week.

"Allegra can I speak to you for a second?" she asks, nudging her chin to a corner of the room as people start to leave.

"Did I do something wrong?" I ask her, as soon as we are alone.

"Oh no, don't worry. But I kinda need your help, again" she awkwardly smiles.

I nod, "Of course, what do you need?"

"You remember that time you covered me with the kid's lessons on Saturday morning?" she asks timidly and again, I nod.

It happened just a few times when Angie was busy and the gym didn't have another actual teacher to cover her shift. She talked to her boss about me - because I've been dancing all my life - and they asked me to cover for her a couple of times, they even offer to make me do a course to become a teacher but at the time, I was too busy with my work and had to refuse. Luckily it wasn't a problem for them, and since then every once in while I spend my Saturdays morning with 5 years old kids learning how to dance.

"Can you cover for me next Saturday? I have a competition and no one can cover for me, I don't really want to reschedule the lesson." She explains, shifting on her feet.

"Of course, don't worry about it." I smile widely, "Which time should I be here?"

She claps her hands and lets out a high squeal, throwing her hands around my shoulders to hug me, "You're a lifesaver, Allegra. And at 9.30, kids will be here at 10 and it's a two hours lesson with 20 minutes break." She explains, letting her hands fall on her side as she takes a step back.

"Cool. Can you text me the details? Or send me an email? You still have my contact, right?" I make sure, adjusting and the strap of my gym bag over my shoulder.

"Yeah. Again, thank you so much." She exhales, bending down to put her things away.

"No problem really. See you next week?"