Prologue

"Attention all townspeople, report to the square immediately!"
I groan quietly and step out of my room, all around me in the hallway I see many kids stepping out of their rooms, rubbing the sleep from their eyes. I spot Vinny but I can't see Sabrina, she didn't show up last night near the fence either. We make eye contact but don't say anything, friendship is illegal.
"Get dressed in your formal wear and report to the square in single file lines!"
I mouth Sabrina to Vinny but he just shrugs, I hope she wasn't caught. That would be her third time getting caught past curfew, which would mean nature. I shudder and think about why we might be going to the town. We only go when we need to watch somebody who committed a crime get punish- my brain clicks and I realize. Sabrina was caught, nobody had been caught for a while so nature is really hungry. She has no chance, nobody facing nature has a chance. Nobody has ever escaped nature, so Sabrina is gone.
I get in my dress and pull on my shoes. I leave my room and head into the main room, I get in the line next to Vinny.
"Do you think-" I begin
"Sabrina?? Yeah." He says with his eyes closed.
"Vinny, someday we are gonna get caught."
"I know Mila, but I'd rather die than live like all the others."
"I know but-"
"What are you two doing?!"
I was about to say nothing when Vinny says, "We are just conversing about the recent events and what might be happening."
I let myself breath, thank god for Vinny.
"Ok, understandable, just don't let me catch you talking out of turn anymore!"
"Yes" I say, barely a whisper.
"Good." She says, and walks away, as if she had something important to get to.

The people in front of us begin to move, so we follow. It's only about a mile walk, no talking, keep your eyes ahead of you, don't laugh or cry or do anything. But I feel like I want to cry, but I pinch myself to hold it in. I can only hope that  this isn't about Sabrina and that she maybe just fell down a hill or got through the gate but couldn't get back in and is just wandering around. But those seem unlikely, if she had seen a way to get through, she would tell us, if she had fallen, she would get up.
I almost bump into the girl ahead of me but Vinny grabs me. Shaking, I sit in the seat next to Vinny.

"CITIZENS OF OUR TOWN, NATURE HAS BEEN HUNGRY FOR A WHILE, SO THIS LITTLE GIRL DECIDED TO FEED IT!! DON'T YOU MAKE HER MISTAKE, CAUGHT PAST CURFEW THEEE TIMES!! Tsk tsk tsk, and she is only a child! Committing crimes!! But we gotta do what we gotta do. BRING OUT THE GIRL, NATURE IS HUNGRY!"